reinforcement of bow eye and installation

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

reinforcement of bow eye and installation

Postby omegaman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 am

Hi All,
I am considering an extra layer of fiberglass and a one inch by five inch wooden block in the bow to reinforce the bow eye, when winching the boat onto the trailer and take up any extra strain.

I am considering installing this once the hull and sides are all filleted. That way I will be able to ensure that water penetration is minimised and strength maximised.
Ps I have moved the inspection port in bulkhead one downwards approx. by six inches from the bottom of the planned circular radius.

Any thoughts or am I just making things to complicated?

Cheers
Frank
omegaman

Re: reinforcement of bow eye and installation

Postby ddemasie on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 pm

That is exactly what I did. I have always wondered if I did the right thing, but it is what I did - so it is done.

Before I sealed up the front bow compartment, I installed the Bow Eye while I could reach it.

Reinforced with a V shaped piece of scrap mahogany from a stock piece intended for the rub rails. anchored it with thick fillets, and fiber-glassed over it.

Then I drilled the holes for the bow eye, and seated it firmly in wet epoxy to get a good water tight seal and tightened the nuts.

Disadvantage is it will never come out - If I somehow break the bow eye, I'll have to add a second one above or below it. It will not come out as it is securely glued in permanently.

I have included a picture.
Attachments
04 Bow Eye Installed Early.jpg
04 Bow Eye Installed Early.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby omegaman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the information I will consider it.

Cheers
Frank
omegaman

Postby riverron on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm

I know some others like Dana Cole, put a wood block in the bow area for the bow eye, but I decided not to. The fillets that I put in were very big. I think they were as wide as 2 inches. I also put extra layers of tape and fiberglass in the area. I think with this that it should be strong enough. The epoxy and fiberglass is probably stronger than the wood, so I should be fine.
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum