Question on sanding?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Question on sanding?

Postby riverron on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

I am sanding the topside of the hull and have a question on sanding? I know I need to have a round over on most of edges so the fiberglass will lay right. Should the edge between the sides and the upper sides be sharpe or rounded over? I know the rails will follow this and want them to lay right.
riverron

Re: Question on sanding?

Postby Wayne G on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 am

Ron,
The transition angle is not sharp enough to pose problems for laying the glass flat across it; once the joint is filled and sanded, I don’t think any additional rounding over is necessary. It’s been some time since I completed this step but I do remember using the joint line as my guide for positioning the rub rail.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby riverron on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks Wayne. I have been filling and sanding the area and trying not to round over too much. My biggest concern was the rub rails. I wanted to make sure they lay flat as they follow the joint and not have a gap above or below that I would have to fill. But I guess that would be worse case. Just over thinking again!
riverron

Postby ddemasie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Here is what I did - See attached pictures.

Filled the seam with epoxy, and overlapped the fiberglass over the seat backs and down the sides a few inched past the seam. Sanded smooth, but not a sharp edge.

Added the rub rails at the seam line - used the seam line as my guide for getting the rub rails smooth and straight. Then when I flipped the boat over and fiberglassed the hull, I took the fiberglass all the way to the bottom of the rub rail.
Attachments
xxxy 27 17 Rub Rail Starboard First Layer.jpg
xxxy 27 17 Rub Rail Starboard First Layer.jpg (205.67 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
xxxz 27 10 Fiberglass Topside - Seats 4.jpg
xxxz 27 10 Fiberglass Topside - Seats 4.jpg (134.42 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby riverron on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks Dennis for the pictures and explanation! They are helpful! I think I am on the right track now.

Ron
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum