Building From Plans...

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Building From Plans...

Postby Keith on Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Building from the CNC-cut kit really looks like the deluxe way to go, but I would be interested in hearing comments from anyone building from just the plans.

• buying materials
  • cutting plywood
  • joining plywood
  • modifications to stock design
  • propulsion methods such as outboard motor (gas or electric), oars (where are the oar locks mounted?), yuloh etc.
Keith

Re: Building From Plans...

Postby decurtis on Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 pm

I am building from plans and am ready to start the fillets in the hull. My Pocketship blog answers most of your questions. My second blog entry back in December 2008 lists what I paid for plywood and epoxy. Other entries detail cutting out the plywood and making scarfs joints. The titles of other entries are usually self-explanatory. My planned modifications so far are mainly cosmetic; teak cabin flooring, using mahogany for the entire companionway, brass deadlights, using the left over tiama from the transom to construct the tabernacle and breasthooks. I purchased a 55 lb thrust MInn Kota trolling motor for $229 to use as auxiliary propulsion.
decurtis

Postby Keith on Tue May 12, 2009 2:21 am

decurtis wrote:I am building from plans...

Thanks for detailing your progress. I'll be re-reading your blog several times! My local plywood prices (http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price_marine_ply.php) aren't too much more than you paid, but I'm still deciding.

Has anyone considered a well in the cockpit (keel in the way) or in one of the lazarettes for an electric motor?
Keith

Postby Keith on Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 am

Looking at the photos, I'm wondering if the smaller cutout in bulkhead #2 could be enlarged to the same size as the larger one. I do realize that the tabernacle is attached just above there, but between the fillets and tape to the cabin top, the hull, the foredeck, and whatever reinforcing is gained from the housings for the dorado vents, I would think that it would be OK... i.e. if it's good enough for the starboard side, it's good enough for the port side.

I would welcome comments from builders as well as from the designer!
Keith

Postby Keith on Mon May 18, 2009 4:13 am

I know it will all be apperent when I have the plans, but how is the foredeck drained?
Keith

Postby decurtis on Mon May 18, 2009 7:55 am

The plans show an option for 2 large openings in bulkhead #2 which is exactly what I have done because I do not require an electrical panel.
The base of the tabernacle has small holes for drainage and the lower corners of the Dorade boxes have 1/2 " holes to drain water from the foredeck/anchor well. There are also 3/4" drainage holes in the cockpit footwell and in the seatbacks close to the transom.
decurtis

Postby Keith on Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm sure many PocketShip builders know about it, but just in case, there's also a wealth of information posted over on the PassageMaker forum... http://www.pmdbuilders.net/
Keith

Postby Keith on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm

It's official... I ordered plans for the PocketShip as well as for the Eastport Pram and a Wood Duck 10. I'm currently fixing up an 8 foot fibreglass dinghy with a rotten gunwale that needs replacing, and also have plans for a Dudley Dix Argie 10 that I'll be doing this summer, but I'm really looking forward to starting the PocketShip.
Keith

Postby Keith on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Keith wrote:It's official... I ordered plans for the PocketShip... as well as for the Eastport Pram and a Wood Duck 10....

I haven't started the PocketShip, but I finally started the Argie 10. Seeing as how I said that I would be doing it last summer, that puts me a year behind before I've even started. I've got most of the plywood cut out. I have a reasonably priced local source of West System epoxy and I'm in the midst of ordering FG cloth, tape, fillers, etc. from Noah's in Toronto, ON. I can get Okoume BS 1088 fairly close to home. I'll be rounding up all of the supplies for the Argie 10, Eastport Pram and the Wood Duck 10, and those three projects should be enough "practise" before starting on the Pocketship.
Keith

Postby biel on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

The Argie 10 design will definitely make a great practice build; one will learn easily here the Stitch and Glue Method, although it may seem daunting at first. I built one myself three years ago and it's still used often on the water, about twice a month on the average. I myself have started on my Pocketship in February this year. Hope yours comes soon afterwards.

Best of luck on your build, cheers.
biel

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum