Interior Painting

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Interior Painting

Postby jwv630 on Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Hey Guys/Gals

Getting ready to begin priming the interior hull with Interlux Pre-Kote. 2 quick questions:

*Is mixing a little Brushing liquid 333 into the primer recommended? How about into the paint??
*Did you guys paint the most forward area where the flotation foam goes?

Thanks
Jimmy V
jwv630

Re: Interior Painting

Postby mark48 on Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi Jimmy,

I painted the hull interior (within the cabin space) with a household interior paint. I did not mix brushing liquid into either Pre-Kote primer or Bightsides (which I used on the hull exterior below the rub-rails). I did not paint the interior bow compartment which gets effectively permanently sealed up (save for the inspection port).

Hope that helps,
Mark
mark48

Postby Wayne G on Mon May 07, 2018 5:35 am

Jimmy,

I also used oil based house paint for the cabin interior and did not paint the forward watertight compartment. I would be a little wary of painting below the cabin floor area with Brightsides paint as there could be standing water in the bilge for long periods during storage (rainwater, condensation etc.).
For the exterior I found that when using the roll and tip method Interlux Brightsides went on very easily with a really smooth finish without the use of a brushing liquid.

If you do use Pre-Kote primer in the interior, because sanding this generates large amounts of dust, I would advise using a good dust mask in that enclosed space.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby riverron on Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 am

Jimmy,
On my interior I did the same thing. I used the Interlux Pre-Kote and recall mixing a cap full of the 333 in a separate container. The stuff is very thick. I did not paint the front bow section, since it is closed up.

I didn't think of the standing water in the bilge area issue, so hopefully I will not have any issues in the future. It's all coated with epoxy, so worse case, I may need to resand and paint if that does occur. I do recall others using actual bilge paint.

Thanks
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum