Engine mount

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Engine mount

Postby TassiePete on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:25 pm

As I am getting closer to the boat being ready for the water, I need to get organised re the motor mount. There seem to be 3 options: the simple bracket (something like John's fibreglass model), the bolt-on lifting brackets, and the transom cutout option. I favour a simple fixed bracket, probably made from stainless steel with a hardwood block. I looked at many pictures, but I can't see, whether the bottom end of the motor is clear of the water, when the engine is tilted up. Can anyone using this sort of setup tell me a bit more about it ? I will be using a 2.5 HP Yamaha (because we have a local dealer), but the dimensions of these small motors are pretty much alike, give or take an inch.

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Re: Engine mount

Postby Shudoman on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:35 pm

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/product-p/rl-motormount-parent.htm

I used one of these and I couldn't be happier. It simply slides into the 3 sockets and held in place with a cotter-pin. It is very easy to remove and leaves only the 3 tiny sockets in place. I'm using it with a torqueedo long shaft but could have used a short shaft and not had any problems.

The torqueedo tips up and clears the water with no problem.

Highly Recommended!

Regards,
Bill
Shudoman

Postby John in CC on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 pm

I made a fiberglass bracket like John Harris did as per his plans. Turns our the 2.0 hp Honda has a smaller head on it than the 2.3 Honda. I didn't think they sell the 2.0 anymore. I could not get the 2.3 to work on the mount and ended up getting one of those spring loaded adjustable types, that I have been really happy with.

I wish I had gotten a longer shaft. Turns out when I have needed it, more than half the time the conditions have been really rough. The longer shaft would stay in the water better when slamming into the waves I have been up against. This has been during the TX200 and the conditions can get pretty bad at times...

If you would like me to send you a finished bracket Ill send it to you if you pay the freight. It looks pretty good, just needs a finish and maybe a little cosmetic work.
John in CC

Postby TassiePete on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks Bill and John. I just had a change of plans, because Honda in Oz has a special deal going. That makes the Honda 2.3 currently a lot cheaper (~US$200 less) than the little Yamaha. So I signed up for a long shaft version - I should get it next week. Thanks John for your kind offer, but ...
I do like the SS bracket from Duckworks, but the distance between transom and mounting plate is 2" less than for the John Harris example. So that won't fit the Honda either. Once I have the motor, I will make up a pattern from scrap wood to get the geometry and position right (i.e. head doesn't touch the transom in the tilted up position, the prop doesn't chew on the rudder, and the bottom end is deep enough in the water). Our local engineering outfit can do nice things with 316 steel. I might get them to fold a piece of 2.5mm sheet into a hat-section. With large holes cut out of the sides and face, where the hardwood mounting plate goes, it should not get too heavy. They might even be able to construct something along the Duckworks mount from a plate and some 316 rods - we'll see. Btw, the Honda weighs ~6 lbs less than the Yamaha, so I am already ahead.
TassiePete

Postby TassiePete on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:51 pm

This is just a quick update. I have decided to cut up the transom after all. There are more details on the blog.

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG (109.42 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
TassiePete

Postby riverron on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 am

Looks good. I think another Pete "Tattoo" did the same thing on his PS. I do like being able to reach the controls better, but I would not like cutting a big hole in my boat. I haven't gotten to that point, so I will have to make the decision at that time. This does make me want to consider both.
riverron

Postby Wayne G on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi Ron,

I think it would be a shame to cut the transom.
The transom assembly complete with transom skirt and cap, while not structurally necessary, is like a sort of grace note which adds a lot of style and character to the boat.

I also have a Honda 2.3 hp long shaft (20”) and attach it by a motor mount.

I positioned the mount just below the transom skirt and did add a wedge to the mount to compensate for the transom angle. Using the outboard angle adjustment alone to ensure the shaft is perpendicular to the wate restricted the amount the outboard could be tilted up out of the water. With the wedge the shaft clears the water even with the boat heeled.
C0E40E38-8728-4396-A29D-DEFB7C6E4B36.jpeg
C0E40E38-8728-4396-A29D-DEFB7C6E4B36.jpeg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 5353 times

A20CFCC3-6BE2-4D21-B6AD-DC17FB141436.jpeg
A20CFCC3-6BE2-4D21-B6AD-DC17FB141436.jpeg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
Attachments
BC6DEDED-4379-43A8-A9F4-B4E832A9DA0C.jpeg
BC6DEDED-4379-43A8-A9F4-B4E832A9DA0C.jpeg (49.11 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby TassiePete on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi Wayne and Ron,

Trust me, I have been worrying about this install for quite a while. I agree that chopping into the transom isn't the 'nicest' option, but functionality won me over on this one. Having the motor controls inside the boat is a good (and safe) thing. I guess, it all depends a bit on how the boat will be used. If the engine will be left behind most of the time, an unobtrusive ( even removable) bracket would be a great option to show off the boat. However, leaning over the transom while refuelling during bad weather in open water, with a few waves and a decent swell running, may become a bit scary ...
If you keep the cut-out, you can always glue it back in ;).

Cheers.
TassiePete

Postby Wayne G on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Peter,

No criticism intended and you raise a good point regarding refueling. The Honda 2.3 is a nice little motor but because there is no provision for an external fuel tank, it definitely could be difficult to refuel on the water without spillage or worse.

I keep a one gallon tank onboard in case I need to refuel (have not needed to so far) but think It would be better to store a couple of small fuel containers each with just enough fuel to fill the Honda internal fuel tank. That way it should be just a matter of tipping the full contents of the container through a funnel into the outboard, with minimum chance of spillage.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Return to PocketShip Forum