VHF radio: Concern

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

VHF radio: Concern

Postby jwv630 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:05 am

Hey Guys

I was not planning on installing a battery or electronic system on my Pocketship - until I realized I might only have the use of a handheld VHF radio without it - which is a quite a concern because of it's limited range; much prefer a 25 watt system that is normally hooked up to a battery. Does anyone have a suggestion how a 'full power' VHF radio can be used on board without the usual 'hard-wired' battery??

Maybe a solar power system? Maybe bring aboard a small motorcycle type battery to hook it up to? Just at the build point of 'shoot or get off the pot' with this issue; don't know a lot about this stuff; need your sage advice.

Thank you and good luck,
Jimmy V
'Miss Jen'
jwv630

Re: VHF radio: Concern

Postby riverron on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:48 am

Jimmy,
There are a lot of portable power packs that you can get. I just got one from Harbor Freight that is a 3 in 1 charger. It has a built in light and usb/12 plugs that could power it . Built by Centech. Be sure to use a 20% off coupon. The one I have, I can charge at home and it could be carried onto the boat. Just google portable Power packs for others.

For the VHF radio, you would need to figure out the wiring to put some 12 volt plug on it. I would assume all of the radios are built for hard wiring, but again probably doable. I know I have seen the plugs that you can buy.

Are you planning on going off shore where a handheld couldn’t be used?

Thanks
riverron

Postby jwv630 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Ron

Many thanks; good ideas and will check them out. Most of my cruising will be in the northern part of the Chesapeake with my family so prefer to have the extra VHF power...Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.....

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby riverron on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:15 am

I agree on safety first. I have a handheld, but may need to look into a 25 watt as well.

I found this.
“For normal handheld use (at five-watt transmit power), figure on a 3-8 mile range from a small boat, compared to 15-20 miles with a fixed-mount radio (at 25 watt transmit power.)”

I looked at the wiring on one of the 25 watts and you should be able wire a “12 volt male plug” . I would get one with a fuse unless the radio has a fuse built in to it’s hot positive wire.

Hope this helps.
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum