Kermadec floats

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Kermadec floats

Postby TassiePete on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:31 am

Hi everyone,

Kermadec is in the water. We didn't pick the best day for the first of the 'sea-trials', but it was a full success. The winds were all over the place and gusting to 20 kts+. In hindsight, starting wit a reef would have been a good idea. The tip of the boom ended up in the water a couple of times, but the boat (and crew) dealt with the conditions vey well. With only 60 kg of lead she is pretty stiff. Another 30 kg + gear, and she will be happy in any conditions. This will be a lot of fun ...

Cheers,

Peter
Attachments
IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG (220.44 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
TassiePete

Re: Kermadec floats

Postby mark48 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:31 am

Congratulations!

You've made near-record time in your building. I too had an exciting initial sea trials in part due to inadequate ballast. John Harris has some pointed advice on the PS forum recommending additional ballast if one is not loaded with supplies for multi-day voyaging.

Enjoy your boat, and all the best,
Mark
mark48

Postby riverron on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

Congratulations! She’s looks great!
riverron

Postby TassiePete on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks guys. I had only two of my 'lead boxes' between floor 4 and 5. The other two boxes (~30 kg) I will put aft of bulkhead 2 to start with. I might have to shift things around until she sits properly in the water. With only 60 kg ballast (the minimum) she heels easily, but as soon as I take the power out of the sail, she rightens herself quickly and stays that way. I wouldn't describe that as 'tippy', but the extra lead will calm things down a bit. The boat was just overpowered ... definitly a good test of the rigging though.
Last edited by TassiePete on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TassiePete

Postby jwv630 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:59 pm

Pete

She’s really lookin’ great; many congrats!!

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby Wayne G on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 pm

Very nice job Peter.
I like your modifications from the original design. Really great workmanship too.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby SMHolmans on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm

She looks fabulous. I have followed your blog with keen interest from the very beginning, and it has helped me plan my own PocketShip build - which I have just started. So congratulations and thank you!
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum