Epoxy resin cure time?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Epoxy resin cure time?

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 am

Thanks for all the suggestions … I will test the mix ratio today. That could very well be the culprit if the pumps aren't dispensing accurately.
SMHolmans

Postby ddemasie on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:50 am

Here is a 'cheat' I used with the MAS epoxy when the weather was turning colder - Since the colder temps slowed down the entire epoxy hardening process, and I got both slow and fast hardener with the kit from CLC- when I was doing work in the late fall or early spring, I'd use about a 75/25 mix of slow and fast hardener.

For example, if I was mixing a batch of 20 of the measured pumps of resin, I'd use 15 measured pumps of slow hardener, and 5 of the fast. That got the epoxy going a bit hotter than using all slow hardener, but didn't make it too hot/fast. I backed down on the amount of slow hardener as the temp rose.

I got used to using 'feel' and observation to monitor my mix time. When first starting stirring, the entire batch is very thick, and at first I could see the difference in viscosity between the resin (thicker) and the hardener (thinner) in the cup. As I mixed, I could see the 2 blending better, and the entire batch took on a little bit of a 'cloudy' look as I stirred vigorously as the resin and hardener first began mixing together in the cup. I would continue stirring until the entre batch started 'loosening up' (getting more viscous) and I could see the cloudiness disappear.

I also used the feeling of the heat beginning to build for the batch of epoxy rising as I cupped my mixing bowl in the palm of my hand (I used red solo cups to mix in)

When I had a consistent thinness of the batch, and the cloudiness was gone, I'd stir for a few more seconds and the get started working with it. The entire process took more time in the colder temp, and a lot less time in the heat of summer.

Winter time it took sometimes 2 or 2.5 minutes, summer sometimes as short as 30 to 40 seconds.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby ddemasie on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 am

Quick correction -

"I backed down on the amount of slow hardener as the temp rose' should read ' I backed down on the amount of fast hardener as the temp rose'
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby JonLee on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Any luck on this?
JonLee

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I think I was just being impatient. At this time of year in the UK it seems that it takes three whole days for epoxy to cure completely. I will just have to plan my activities accordingly!
SMHolmans

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum