Who is ready for Spring? Dealing with the cold!

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Who is ready for Spring? Dealing with the cold!

Postby riverron on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 am

Who’s ready for Spring? I don’t know about you,but I am ready for some warmer temperatures! Still doing some work with gluing spars and making a boom gallow, but I need for the temperature to be warmer to do some clear epoxy coating on the rub rails, so I can flip the boat back over!

I use a small space radiator with a fan blowing through it and the work lights for concentrated work, but this won’t work for any large surface areas.

What are some of your tricks to deal with the cold?
riverron

Re: Who is ready for Spring? Dealing with the cold!

Postby mark48 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 am

Hi Ron,

I love your enthusiasm, but my first response is "patience." Warmer weather will arrive, and there are stories of failing epoxy ascribed to cold temperatures during application. Keep working on the smaller items unless you can "tent" the work area with poly and heat the inside volume with construction lights to an acceptable temperature (and keep it warm during curing).

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Postby riverron on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks Mark. I am unable to do much, so I decided to vent and complain about the weather! :lol:
riverron

Postby SMHolmans on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm with you Ron! It's cold here in the UK and my build has ground to a halt while I wait for warmer and drier weather. Nothing I can do except complain about the weather, which is a very British characteristic!
SMHolmans

Postby jwv630 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Ron

That's the spirit! Yes, been ready since the day I closed up my shop for the winter...work on scale boat models here at my home when it's cold. Hang tough; it won't be long....Really enjoy watching your build...

Jimmy V
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum