Just picked up materials and getting started

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Just picked up materials and getting started

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Well, I picked up my materials from CLC on Wednesday and spent 2 days getting everything organized in the garage to some degree. I just started the first steps this evening by working on the centerboard trunk. My intent is to just do one of the pieces with peel ply and the other with the usual multiple layers of epoxy and see what works best for me. Have any of you worked with peel ply and have suggestions for large surface areas like these? Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Mike
Mflyer65

Re: Just picked up materials and getting started

Postby mark48 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Mike and welcome aboard,

John Harris has a great video on the CLC site about using peel-ply. Watch it several times. I also experimented on a couple scraps of plywood, sacrificing small sections of peel-ply and FG fabric to practice. My issues related to insufficient epoxy application over the peel-ply resulting in streaks of "starved" fabric.

Good luck. Enjoy the process - you'll have a blast. And keep us posted.

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Re: Just picked up materials and getting started

Postby Mflyer65 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks Mark,
The first side with peel ply worked well. I had a couple small spots at 2 corners that did not fill the fiberglass enough so did a touchup today. There will be some sanding to do but shouldn't be bad. I went ahead and glassed the other piece for the centerboard case and tried more peel ply with a little more epoxy than the first attempt.
I used peel ply in the past on small areas while building an engine cowl for my airplane (a past life) some years ago but never tried it on wood and never on such a large surface. It takes much more attention to detail with the large area for me as there are so many places where pucker and air needs to be worked out.
Mike
Mflyer65

Return to PocketShip Forum