Can't get boat to align with cradle

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Can't get boat to align with cradle

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:33 pm

OK, I have the bottom and sides attached, got #4 floor to align with keel, sides, bottom skins and cradle. Now trying to get the cradle to align with everything at bulkhead 7 and off by about 3/4". Trying to figure out how to get it all to align and just don't see how with proper dimensions for the cradle parts. How critical is it to have the aft cradle component attached to #7, the floor and sides? Can I just forget worrying about the cradle on the aft end and get on with it?
Anyone else have problems with this effort? I have measured 3 times but not sure it's worth worrying about. Otherwise I will maybe remove the 2 cradle connecting members and shorten 3/4 inch before trying again.
All suggestions welcome.
Mike
Mflyer65

Re: Can't get boat to align with cradle

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Just found a June 2016 post that showed me about some others that did not attach the cradle to bulkhead 7. So I am going ahead without doing it as well. Saves me a lot of work I think.
Thanks all for your past posts. Sure makes this build much more clear.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi Mike.

I have had exactly the same problem. In my opinion the build cradle is insufficiently stable or robust to assume it will interact accurately with the hull. It's made of MDF, which is not rigid or stable. And the two sides of the cradle are joined with whatever timber you have available, so it's not dimensionally reliable. My advice is don't worry about the cradle - fasten your floors and bulkheads where you know they should be. That's what I have done!

Steve
SMHolmans

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Perfect.
Thanks Steve
Mflyer65

Postby riverron on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 am

Mike,
I agree with Steve. Line up the side pieces and bulkheads where they should go. If you need to drill extra holes to tie to the cradle then do so. They can always be filled with epoxy and your entire outside will be covered with fiberglass.

Thanks
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum