Random Orbital Sander

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Random Orbital Sander

Postby Keith on Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 pm

There was a question about recommendations for a random orbital sander over on the Passagemaker Dinghy forum. The poster had used sanders from Sears and Black and Decker, but they didn't last long. Anyone using a DeWalt DW411 1/4" Sheet Random Orbital Sander? I would be happy to hear about other brands too. For typical boat building use, does it matter if the pad is square or round?
Keith

Re: Random Orbital Sander

Postby Keith on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 am

I ended up getting the Bosch ROS20VSK 5" variable speed random orbit sander, but haven't used it yet.
Keith

Postby Keith on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:29 pm

I ended up getting the Bosch ROS20VSK 5" variable speed random orbit sander...

I got it from my local Home Hardware. Did you know that the Bosch sander uses disks with 8 holes and that Home Hardware sells disks with 5 holes in them? I hope to exchange the 5 hole disks for the right ones later today!
Keith

Postby Keith on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:19 pm

I hope to exchange the 5 hole discs for the right ones later today!

Well, they don't stock 8 hole discs, but can order in 5 packs and 10 packs. However, I might be able to get them more reasonably priced on eBay. Could anyone estimate how many and which grade of discs might typically be needed on a PocketShip?
Keith

Postby decurtis on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 pm

There is LOTS of sanding and you will need LOTs of sandpaper. I found 8-holed disks at Home Depot and Rona in 25 packs that cost $15 or $16. You will need mainly 80 and 120 grit. I am on my second box of 80 grit and I have only sanded the inner hull and topsides. Invest in a good pair of large headphone style ear protection. When I am sanding I turn on my IPod, put the ear protection on, and can barely hear the vacuum and sander over the music playing.
decurtis

Postby Keith on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 pm

decurtis wrote:There is LOTS of sanding and you will need LOTs of sandpaper...

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering 750 discs from an eBay seller in Ontario. Including shipping, it worked out to about 30 cents (US) per disc. That should hopefully last me for several projects!

• 60 grit qty 50 x 1
  • 80 grit qty 50 x 10
  • 120 grit qty 50 x 4
I've only used the Bosch sander for a few minutes, and it was quiet enough to use without hearing protection, but I'll definitely put on the ear muffs when I'm using it continuously, especially if I use a vacuum instead of the built-in dust collection system.
Keith

Return to PocketShip Forum