Sanding fillets

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sanding fillets

Postby SMHolmans on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi from Oxford, UK. I am filleting the lower hull panels and it is clear to me that a lot of finish-sanding is required to make to the fillets ready for 'glass cloth. Are there any top-tips for getting this done as painlessly as possible? It looks like hours and hours of work, despite me being neat and careful …

Steve
SMHolmans

Re: Sanding fillets

Postby riverron on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Sorry Steve, but I laughed! :lol: I really know your pain! Building a boat is a lot of fun, but sanding fillets is not. Try to break up time with some other side projects like working on rudder or spars. You will get it done!

As for tools, I found a round rubber pipe cover, the type you put around pipes so they don’t freeze. This was good to put sand paper around. I cut in 3-4 inch lengths. Fits the contour of the fillet. I also watched a video of someone using a dowel the same size as the fillet with sand paper around. Same concept. One is flexible, one is not. The dowel option seems like something good to try. I also bought a small sander with triangle shaped paper to help sand.

Good luck!
riverron

Postby SMHolmans on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm

I had a strong feeling that you might say that, Ron! Pleased I made you laugh … I am reconciled to a lengthy period of sanding fillets as hard as concrete. At least I know I am not the first to suffer this.

I have a couple of decent sanders which might help, although they can't get into the tight corners. I think hand sanding is the only real answer! I will post some pics on my blog as the misery progresses.
SMHolmans

Postby John in CC on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm

I found the key was getting really good at making the fillets. The better I got at doing them the less sanding was needed. I also found a little bit of epoxy fairing compound helped smooth things out and was very easy to sand giving the cloth a nice smooth surface to bond. Wish I could be of more help but this is coming from a guy who developed a bit of tendonitis in the elbows on both arms before I was done : (
John in CC

Postby jwv630 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Steve

I mainly use various diameter wood dowels for sanding the epoxy fillets. Works well. Quick thoughts:

*You'll get better at filleting which will reduce sanding
*And, for me, quite honestly, I lowered my expectations of a 'perfect' boat - which may have saved my sanity (I had already pulled out most of the hair I have left...).
*Good enough is now good enough! 'Get 'er done' is the new mantra...
*I also use epoxy fairing compound over fillets if needed as John mentioned here; good advice. I use 2-part TotalFair brand from Jamestown Distributors in the U.S. Can also be used below the waterline...very easy to sand.
I'm about 1/2 way thru my build.

Good luck!
Jimmy V
'Miss Jen II'
jwv630

Postby John in CC on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:56 pm

jwv630 wrote:Hi Steve

*I also use epoxy fairing compound over fillets if needed as John mentioned here; good advice. I use 2-part TotalFair brand from Jamestown Distributors in the U.S. Can also be used below the waterline...very easy to sand.
I'm about 1/2 way thru my build.

That is the stuff I used. One part is blue and the other part is yellow. When mixed and everything turns green you are good to go. I also found out I was overdoing the sanding. Once you get to an 80 grit finish you are good to go to cover with the fiberglass cloth. Once the interior hull is finished and you cover it with cardboard the boat building becomes a lot of fun. Things really start to take shape much faster and is MUCH easier to work on. Makes me want to build another boat!
John in CC

Postby SMHolmans on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:27 am

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Very useful - and encouraging! I'm part way through sanding the fillets and although it is a miserable process I can now see the end of this phase. I am going to use fairing compound on the visible fillets. Then I will get the fibre glassing done - how long does that take?

Steve
SMHolmans

Postby Bflat on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 pm

What I found indispensable for sanding filets was little sanding drums spun in an electric drill They can be found in a range of sizes, but I mostly used a 1.5" diameter, though 1" is helpful too. They work fine with a cordless drill, but I find I can get more done faster with the added speed of a corded drill.
Bflat

Postby SMHolmans on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Since putting up this post I have discovered two invaluable tools which help greatly in shaping the fillets.

The first is a carbide burr, used in an electric drill. I have found a 16mm ball is ideal for rough shaping the fillets. Carbide burrs come in many shapes and sizes and are used by industrial finishers to deburr and shape metal and other hard materials. My burr removes a lot of material with no trouble at all.

My second discovery is the abrasive cylinders referenced by bflat in the last post. Again they are used by industrial finishers, so they ought to be good for sanding resin. I have purchased a selection of sizes and will be trying them in the next few days. They are called Spirabands here in the UK.

Both work best on a corded drill. The cordless variety run out of juice very quickly.

Steve
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum