Ahoy from NC!

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Ahoy from NC!

Postby PirateSteve on Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Ahoy there!

I am new to the forum, and just wanted to say that I am excited about the PocketShip. I was looking at the Weekender, but came across the PocketShip on a general search. All I can say is WOW. I can't wait to get started!

I have one very important question though... I live in North Carolina, just a few minutes from Washington, NC near the Pamlico Sound. I would want to sail the PocketShip in the sound, and out to the Outerbanks. Is this a good boat to do that with? In my research, I have heard that trailable sail boats do not have stable sailing characterisics that a deep keel provides. Anyone familliar with sailing the Outer Banks? I had never done so.

Thanks

Steve
PirateSteve

Re: Ahoy from NC!

Postby Keith on Sat May 30, 2009 2:28 pm

PirateSteve wrote:I have heard that trailable sail boats do not have stable sailing characterisics that a deep keel provides.

The designer has stated... "the boat had to have was the ability to manage in rough conditions" and "the ability to cross to the Bahamas from Miami on a good weather report... in the right hands." He has also mentioned "I've not been able to put her down; she'll round up into the wind before getting knocked flat." He has also stated "Next time I'm near a quiet dock I'll try to capsize the boat with a halyard led from the masthead."

In my mind, I'm committed to building a PocketShip, but I'll be most interested to hear the results of a capsize test. I suspect that if it isn't self righting that it will at least be easy to right if the hatch is closed. I'm not quite sure what the results will be with the hatch open and the cabin is allowed to partially fill with water.

For some intersting reading, see the MAIB site, Her's one report... (PDF 1.5 MB)
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Leisure%20Craft%20Safety%20Digest.pdf
Keith

Postby Sea-Moose on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi,
Years ago I sailed the Currituck and Albermarle Sounds in a Tanzer 14 Sailboat, a small open sloop. We camped ashore every night and took about a good
week to sail from Edenton down to Nag's Head. The Pocketship would be a wonderful boat to sail there! Don't worry about a keel, just use common sense
when sailing. If you feel you are not in control just run her up on the beach, secure and wait until the weather moderates. As I recall there were large seas
off the mouth of the Aligator River, but otherwise it was exciting sailing. We spent more then a week sailing there.

Good Luck.
Jim aka Sea-Moose (considerring doing a Pocketship myself)
Sea-Moose

Postby herbt on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Ahoy from Durham NC

I have sailed from Oriental to Okrakoke in an Oday 22 and a cape dory 28 and I can tell you that the sound can get very bad very fast because of its shallow depth, so plan your trips very carefully.

Herbt
herbt

Return to PocketShip Forum