First tries to fiberglass bow not working out so well

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

First tries to fiberglass bow not working out so well

Postby Mflyer65 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Hello All,
I decided to start with interior fiberglass work at the bow where no one will see it after foamed in and sealed up. But after multiple attempts at fitting fiberglass to that area (template with paper, tape up, cut and fit here and there...) I just pulled it all out due to the fiberglass pulling away as I work one area or another and then going back with either a brush or roller to get it down only to fail again in another area.
I am back at it now with nothing but a coat of clear epoxy where the glass once covered here and there and it will soon be setup so I don't want to touch it anymore right now. I am wondering if I can just go to the layered approach and lay down small, overlapping pieces maybe every hour or so until it is covered. I am not as flexible as years past and can only just reach the bottom at the bulkhead with a brush tip so it has been rough going.
Anyone with good tips to get this job done? I don't think the other areas would be as tough as this area but I still want to get it done first with all the messing up, etc. before proceeding with other sections.
Mflyer65

Re: First tries to fiberglass bow not working out so well

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:09 am

I just finished glassing inside the bottom of my boat. Have a look at my blog to see how I did it. I started at the stern. The bow Is is the trickiest it - leave until last!

Steve
SMHolmans

Postby ddemasie on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 am

I know this might not be of much help to you I had the same problem with those tight spaces in the hull bottom. I could barely get one shoulder through that opening if I was sitting in the boat, and my arms are not long enough to stand on a step stool and reach all the way to the hull panels. On the bow space, I had to choose - see what I was doing by sitting in the hull and putting my head through, or have mobility and only stick one arm through and do it by feel. :D

So my approach was to have my 22 year old son - (who is literally half my size and limber like a 22 year old would be) crawl in and do the bow section. His whole upper body could fit through the cut outs in that front bulkhead -He fit, had plenty of room to work because of his size, while I (over 60 and maybe with just a bit more excess baggage and far less flexibility) watched, and had a beer. :)

I also had him do most of the hull sections between the bulkheads because he fit in there waaay better than I, while I supervised.

Fun family time!
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks Steve and Dennis,
I looked at your examples and the idea of wetting out the bow a bit first and then starting at the top to hold things together really helped a great deal. I went ahead and ended up with 3 pieces that all overlap and will lay in the tape this afternoon but the tips really helped to keep me on task.
I have some son-in-laws that are capable but not available so had to come up with something this balding, overweight, inflexible retired old fart can do. This experience will no doubt aid in fiberglass work to come for sure. A beer or two last night also didn't hurt.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:58 am

Steve,
Also good to know that the bow is the most difficult to do. Guess I'll have it done and can look forward to slightly easier areas ahead.
Thanks again,
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby riverron on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Mike,
I found the bow section difficult as well. I feel you pain with trying to fit through the hole in bulkhead #2. I gave up on that and found that reaching down from the outside worked better for most of it. I did reach through and do a little touch up. I am lucky that I am taller and have longer arms.

I did purchase some work platforms and step stools to make it safer to work.
See below. You might find useful.

This one really helped me to climb in and out of the boat.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-3-Step-Pro-Grade-Steel-Project-Ladder-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-GLHD-3T/305601237

I used this one to reach down into.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Ladders-47-25-in-x-12-in-x-20-in-Aluminum-Slim-Fold-Work-Platform-with-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-GLWP-47/305590237

For the fiberglass between Bulkheads 1 and 2, I used a few pieces. I did the both in 2 pieces and then the sides in 2 pieces overlapping.
That way I was not working with this big piece of glass.

To hold the glass vertical, I use blue tape and thumb tacks.
To apply epoxy on the vertical pieces, I used a chip brush with the bristles cut in half and used a dabbing method. Once i had enough epoxy to hold in place, I then switched to a roller.

Hope this helps.

Ron
riverron

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Ron,
Interesting you and I have the same ladder to get into and out of the boat. I didn't get the other one you suggested as I have another ladder I have been using. Not as easy to use but works for now.
Thanks also for the tips with tape and tacks. The tacks are a good idea during dry fit. I was using the chip brush and dabbing as well and that worked to some degree. I had not tried cutting the bristles short and will give that a try too.
Thanks Ron,
Mike
Mflyer65

Return to PocketShip Forum