Motor Mount backing plate?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Motor Mount backing plate?

Postby riverron on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:02 am

For those of you that installed motor mounts, did you put a backing plate on the inside or just large washers? If you used a backing plate what did you use? Wood, stainless steel or composite? Also anyone install a wedge to change the angle the motor sits?

Thanks
riverron

Re: Motor Mount backing plate?

Postby Bflat on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:40 pm

I used 1/4" aluminum plate that I cut to size on my table saw. 1/2" or 3/4" plywood would work just as well, I think. I didn't see any need to add wedges. The motor (2.5 hp Suzuki) clamp allows one to make the necessary angle adjustments. I'm pretty sure that's common on most any brand motor. I'm talking about inside the lazaretes. On the outside I put a thin (2mm) sheet of neoprene like rubber between the motor mount and the transom just to protect the finish. That product is readily available at art supply places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Bob
Bflat

Postby riverron on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks Bob for the options.
riverron

Postby Shudoman on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Just big washers here. I use a torqueedo so vibration is not an issue. Boat is about 6 years old and hasn't shown any problems with the system.
Shudoman

Postby riverron on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Thanks for the info Shudoman. I have purchased a Torqeedo motor as well, but the mount I purchased is pretty big. Maybe overkill, but I liked the ability to raise and lower the motor.
riverron

Postby Shudoman on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 am

This is the mount I used. Highly recommended since it is removable. https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/rl- ... parent.htm
Shudoman

Postby Bflat on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Shudoman wrote:This is the mount I used. Highly recommended since it is removable. https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/rl- ... parent.htm

I was planning on going with that very mount, but was concerned that even with the motor tilted up when not in use the prop would still drag in the water at least when heeled on that tack. Have you found that to be the case? A removable mount would be nice. Do you find yourself removing the mount a lot?

I went with the conventional lifting mount. The combination of lifting and tilting keeps the prop well out when not needed. It is ugly, though.

Bob
Bflat

Postby riverron on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm

This is the mount I purchased. I also got the Torqeedo long shaft. I wanted to make sure I could drop in far enough and bring out enough so it would not drag. I did order the neoprene Monday to put behind the mount and just need to get washers or metal bracket to mount. I will figure out this weekend, since we are stuck at home! Good excuse to work on the boat!

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinetech-products--adjustable-outboard-motor-bracket-aluminum-2-stroke-max-12hp-max-82-lb--17561853

Thanks
riverron

Postby Mflyer65 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am

Bob,
I am interested in the mount you used. Do you have any pics of the engine mounted and tilted and how did you handle the through bolts on the interior of the transom?
Thanks,
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby Bflat on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Here you go Mike, I went ahead and threw the motor on to take the pics. Obviously, we're in winter storage time here in Wisconsin. I actually don't remember where I bought the mount from, probably West Marine. It looks identical to the one Riveron posted although I modified it by replacing the big black plastic mounting plate with one that I made from Plywood laminated to thickness and covered that with glass and graphite. I just wanted the mount to be narrower so as to be less clunky looking. Even so, there's no getting around the fact that motors and their mounts are inherently ugly.
Hope that helped.
Bob

P.S. forgive the dirt evident in the pics. She'll get a good washing at the the start of the season.
P1070683.jpg
P1070683.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
P1070672.jpg
P1070672.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 5122 times
[attachment=1]P1070673.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
P1070673.jpg
P1070673.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
Bflat

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum