My Interior & Electrical System

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

My Interior & Electrical System

Postby John C. Harris on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Back in June I finally got most of the interior done.

I bought some padded hull liner material at Sailrite, and glued it to the overhead, bulkheads, and the side of the hull. I haven't gotten the trim in yet, so it still looks a little kludgy, but it will eventually give the cuddy a more "finished" look. The main reason is to defeat condensation in the interior. Sleep in pocket cruisers this size during cool weather and you can wake up to a shower of condensation from the overhead. My Montgomery 15 acquired insulation made out of old mattress covers. This liner material is a bit nicer.

Mainly I wanted to get the electrical panel in, so I'd have running lights and a stereo. I have to have music on my boats---I've gotten so used to it that I can't bear to go without. So I built in a handsome Jensen unit and four speakers.

Here's the panel, a bit of varnished plywood fastened to the port side of the forward bulkhead. On the left is the stereo control panel and two "cigarette lighter" plugs. One for a 12v fan, and an extra for recharging the iPod or whatever. The switchboard is a lovely unit made by Blue Seas. It's got five fused switches and gauges for amps and volts. The ugly red knob is a "battery switch," which isolates the battery from the panel. I consider that an indispensable safety feature, even if it's not very pretty. Fastened to the center of the bulkhead is a blue mesh bag I picked up at West Marine. It holds the iPod and a handhelf VHF radio.

Switch Board.jpg
Switch Board.jpg (413.63 KiB) Viewed 19465 times

The panel is hinged at the bottom, so I remove two screws to access the back of the panel.

Back of Switch Board.jpg
Back of Switch Board.jpg (299.56 KiB) Viewed 19463 times

For interior lights, I found some inexpensive LEDs, which I mounted on the upper left and right sides. They aren't especially bright, but the power draw is maybe half an amp or less.

White Interior Lights.jpg
White Interior Lights.jpg (326.7 KiB) Viewed 19436 times

I put a set of red LED lights on a separate switch. A bit posh, but honestly I've done a lot of night sailing, and it's great to be able to duck down into the cuddy to find a sweater without ruining your night vision. My Folkboat had this feature and it was great.

Red Interior Lights.jpg
Red Interior Lights.jpg (253.38 KiB) Viewed 19435 times

The front speakers (KLH's from Radio Shack---excellent sound and very durable, even in the damp) are mounted in the forward storage compartment. The amp for the stereo is on the left.

Forward Speakers.jpg
Forward Speakers.jpg (205.38 KiB) Viewed 19402 times

The rear speakers are mounted to the front of the footwell. Need to fasten that wire up out of the way before gear catches on it. Boats enjoy the same advantages as cars for audiophile listening---lots of surfaces to diffuse the sound. Give me a nasty Northeaster and I'll give you a lovely day at anchor reading books, listening to music, and sipping hot tea. Of course, a cheap old boombox will get you there with a lot less effort.

Rear Speakers.jpg
Rear Speakers.jpg (185.64 KiB) Viewed 19427 times

The battery lives in a box where it's shown on the plans. If I'd had the time, I'd have built a platform in there from the start. I notice I bought the same box from West Marine that Jeff did. Mine is strapped tightly to sturdy eyestraps on the bulkhead. It hasn't budged either in bumpy trailering or in bumpy head seas.

Battery Box.jpg
Battery Box.jpg (257.59 KiB) Viewed 19434 times

I've only got two of the three running lights installed---the port and starboard lights. They're fastened to the outsides of the Dorade boxes. I bought some clever watertight through-deck plugs to run the wires into the interior from the Dorades. The white stern light will require some fooling around with the "transom skirt."

Running Lights.jpg
Running Lights.jpg (251.38 KiB) Viewed 19401 times

Keeping the 12-volt battery charged up is a 10-watt solar panel fastened to the top of the companionway hood. Another one of those through-deck plugs connects it to the battery through the Dorade box.

Solar Panel.jpg
Solar Panel.jpg (282.7 KiB) Viewed 19400 times
John C. Harris

Re: My Interior & Electrical System

Postby SHyland83 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Have you considered putting flush mounted speakers in the cockpit also? i was thinking about putting one on either side of the companionway. Do you think it's just no necessary?
SHyland83

Postby Keith on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:12 pm

John C. Harris wrote:I bought some padded hull liner material at Sailrite, and glued it to the overhead, bulkheads, and the side of the hull... The main reason is to defeat condensation in the interior.

I have thought about some insulation too. I've camped in an uninsulated van in winter, so I know what you mean about condensation, and I didn't have dorade vents!

I've only got two of the three running lights installed---the port and starboard lights.

I see you installed some interior LED lights. Did you manage to get LED running lights as well? They would really help keep battery consumption down.
Keith

Postby John C. Harris on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:04 pm

>>>>>I see you installed some interior LED lights. Did you manage to get LED running lights as well? They would really help keep battery consumption down.

I wanted LED running lights, but they were $83.....EACH. Too rich for my blood. I got the cheapie Sea Dog brand, which have held up on two other boats that I've wired. The LED running lights were also physically quite large.

I forget how much the cabin LEDs were but it must have been sub-$20.
John C. Harris

Postby John C. Harris on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:02 pm

>>>>>>>>>>Have you considered putting flush mounted speakers in the cockpit also? i was thinking about putting one on either side of the companionway. Do you think it's just no necessary?>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can hear the cabin speakers fine on deck as installed, and I'm loath to put any extra holes in the topsides.

The cabin fit-out is totally me. I love the convenience of it all. And sailboats, especially older ones, tend to suffer from dreadful electrical engineering, all lampcord and knife-switches. So it's fun to do a really solid, reliable, long-lasting installation just to make the point that it's possible. With a single battery and the appliances shown, I haven't seen that a single 12v battery is drawn down much. PocketShip lives in CLC's shop, and the solar panel actually charges the battery (slowly) from the overhead lights.

Anyway, a candle-lantern, clip-on running lights, and a cheap portable radio would all work, too...
John C. Harris

Postby decurtis on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am

John,
Do you remember how many yards of liner you used? I am starting to plan out my Pocketship jobs to work on in the spring when I get back from visiting the kids in Australia.
While there I will get to have some fun on the Pearson 36 my son and his wife have purchased to live on.
http://www.getlostonpurpose.com/
decurtis

Postby Nemo on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 pm

This is a great set up.

John H. do you have a wiring diagram or some advice on how to wire this setup? Or even an online resource that would provide some details. I would love to spec out for my boat.

Thanks Nemo

(old PMD customer and PMD forum member/poster)
Nemo

Postby John C. Harris on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 am

>>>>>John H. do you have a wiring diagram or some advice on how to wire this setup? Or even an online resource that would provide some details. I would love to spec out for my boat. >>>>

I do not. It's always a pretty substantial accomplishment for me if I don't wire more than about six shorts in any given system. Just trial and error for me.

Your electrical panel will come with a proper wiring diagram; here's a crude sketch that at least shows where I put things. I made use of watertight "through-bulkhead" plugs to run wires into the Dorade boxes and through the lazarette. The photos (above) are really more descriptive.

PocketShip Wiring Diagram.jpg
PocketShip Wiring Diagram.jpg (128.87 KiB) Viewed 17703 times
John C. Harris

Postby Nemo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks much John.

My 10 y/o son will be happy as he has been wanting to wire something up badly.

Apprciate the prompt reply and I will let you know how I get along.

Nemo
Nemo

Postby kilderkin on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm about to glue up the mast for Kilderkin II, and was wondering about putting the wiring in for a steaming light (I know, I need an o/b), and an anchor light. I can get away with only two wires if I use LED lights, with a two pin connector near the mast pivot point. Anyone have a recommendation for the lights. I might make my own for the bi-color bow light so it looks "right" with the scale of the boat.

Appreciate any en-light-ening comments!
kilderkin

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum