split in my mast

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

split in my mast

Postby Mflyer65 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:45 pm

I just finished my last epoxy tango on the boat build by assembling my mast. It all went together fine. I only had enough epoxy to assemble the aft and 2 sides last week so stopped at that point and just clamped and held down those 3 sides with a spacer in the middle where the forward side will eventually go and ordered more epoxy.I planned to install the forward surface today once the additional epoxy shipment showed up. I installed the forward surface and now I have it clamped down to my 16ft work bench. I went back over the assembly to remove any squeeze out. When about 6 feet down from the top of the mast I found an 18 inch split in the forward facing surface running up the middle surface! I don't know when it split, maybe as I tapped it home to the other 3 sides or maybe when I clamped it down but, no matter the reason, the split is there.
I am trying to figure out what to do next. I will just have to let the forward side cure until tomorrow.

Should I:
1. grind maybe a 3 foot area out of the forward surface and scarf a new piece in?
2. cut out the area and scarf another piece in and also a solid filler in the middle of that new piece?
3. try to separate the split a bit and get epoxy in?
4. fiberglass the area that is split maybe?

Looking forward to any and all ideas at this point. I really can't see having to replace the whole mast but, of course that is always an option.
Thanks,
Mike
Mflyer65

Re: split in my mast

Postby riverron on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:22 am

Sorry that happened, but I think that is boat building! I know I had a few challenges!

Does the split go all the way through!

I lean towards number 3 and trying to fill with epoxy. I would think doing a scarf joint of some type would be the same. I think the challenge will be to fill the joint all the way through. If the crack goes all the way through the epoxy will want to run and drip through. If It runs and doesn’t cover the whole surface the joint may be weak.

I think then either 2 or 3 will be then be the better choice. You could use 2 very small blocks to hold the new piece in place. Be careful on size. You don’t want to add much weight.

Or maybe use a router jig to do an angle on both sides of the hole angling down. That way the piece wouldn’t fall through and would have plenty of surface area for epoxy. You could clean up with a plane and sander.

Good luck!
riverron

Postby Mflyer65 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks Ron,
I just completed a total inspection of the mast and it is, without a doubt, the worst job I have done on this boat to date. It is not salvageable as is and the split runs most of the length of the mast now.
I am trashing the whole thing and starting over. Attempting to fix this thing is a waste of time and it would torture me to see it with sails on it down the road.
So, that's that.
Gotta love it,
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby JonLee on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:02 am

Good choice!

Are the other three sides good? If you have (a really good respirator and) a heat gun, you might try using the heat gun to soften the epoxy and disassemble your mast. You'd have to take care not to toast the wood, but the epoxy will unbond at high Temps. I had damage to the fiberglass on my transom, and had to reglass...I pulled to old glass.off using this method.

It is a little time intensive, since you have to clean up all that epoxy, sand the mating surfaces, etc. Depends on whether you want to save the wood/money, or the time. (Personally, I would just start all over and save the hassle).
JonLee

Postby TassiePete on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Me too ...
I had 'Kermadec' out in the weather for a few months. A little crack opened up in the mast and water got in. Then the timber swelled up and the crack widened. In the end, the mast filled with water and turned a lot of it into a sponge. All the the rigging is now off the boat. I have taken all the hardware off and trashed the mast ( :cry: ). With the sailing season about to start here, I have decided to make a (permanent) temporary fix, and I bought a 6 m length of T6061 aluminum pipe for $62.00 (US$40) for a new mast. I have to make some minor mods to the gaff-jaws - I don't have a track on my mast - and the tabernacle, as the alu-pipe is a bit less in diameter than the wooden mast (and has a lot less weight). We'll see how that works out.

And ... I have just started my new project : http://www.sangohuon.wordpress.com. The complete log with lots of pictures from the construction of the PocketShip is on the 'About Me' - page.

Cheers,

Peter
Last edited by TassiePete on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TassiePete

Postby Mflyer65 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:48 am

Thanks for the additional ideas. The cracking/splitting surface could be fixed or maybe just try the disassembly process with heat. I also like the aluminum mast idea as well. Right now I am still leaning on the rebuild idea.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby TassiePete on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:02 pm

The aluminum mast is a quick fix: cut the pipe to length and pop-rivets for a few fittings, but it certainly won't look as good on the boat.
I am just desperate to go sailing very soon.

Cheers,

Peter
TassiePete

Return to PocketShip Forum