How much paint and primer for Pocketship hull?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

How much paint and primer for Pocketship hull?

Postby decurtis on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Anyone have an estimate of how many quarts of primer and paint are needed for Pocketship's exterior? I would prefer to order from a supplier just once. Also, could the boat benefit from the use of an ant-skid additive to the paint in an area such as the cabin decking that may need to occasionally be walked on?

Thanks,
Dave
Progress of my Pocketship is on my blog.
decurtis

Re: How much paint and primer for Pocketship hull?

Postby slick95 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:20 pm

Old post but I'm at the point of purchasing paint and hope somebody has the answer as to the quantity of primer and paint for the hull bottom, top sides and cockpit. I plan to use Interlux Brightsides Prekote and one part polyurethane.
I hope someone can help.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby JonLee on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I am going totally on memory here, so take it for what it is worth. As I recall, I used one quart of bottom paint...I did not prime beneath it. And I don't think I had a significant amount left over. Two quarts of primer...don't recall having very much left over. One quart of red for the hull, with leftovers (I put on three coats and wish I had put another one or two coats on). Then, one quart each of the white and tan for the topsides. Had it been just one color, I reckon one quart would have been plenty. I also bought a can of flattening agent to make the white a little more sedate than the red hull, and (in a larger doseage) to knock a good bit of gloss off the high traffic cockpit & anchor well areas.
JonLee

Postby slick95 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am

Jon,

Thank you for your memory assistance :) I guess I will order a bit more than I thought so wishing to add another coat I'll have paint to do it.

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby craig on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:02 am

I used Trilux 33 for the bottom and used a quart and a half. The sides used about a half of a quart for four coats (the blue interlux brightsides has great coverage, I guess). I used two quarts of white Brightsides for all the topsides stuff (cockpit, top panels, cabin roof, etc).
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby JonLee on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:47 pm

I used the Trilux for the bottom too (maybe I used two quarts there instead of one too...too fuzzy to remember). In retrospect, I think I would have skipped the anti-fouling paint and gone for something tougher. Realistically, I don't have enough vacation time to ever take a long enough cruise for any marine growth to get going.
JonLee

Postby slick95 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Thank you guys for your insight. Helps a bunch!

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
slick95

Postby Bflat on Wed May 18, 2016 7:29 am

I'm getting close to painting the bottom. I've been planning on going with the Trilux 33 however I see some have said they'd go a different route if done again. Does the Trilux rub off pretty easily or something?
Thanks,
Bob
Bflat

Postby craig on Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 am

The trilux is an ablative antifouling, so it is definitely softer than normal paint. It won't rub or chip off on your palms, certainly, but I have more wear along the chine where the compression straps are, for example. It also goes on "lumpy" if that makes sense - it's extremely thick, in my experience, and hard to get to lay flat. My opinion is to go ahead and use the trilux just in case you ever decide to keep the boat in the water for a long trip. That's far easier than someday replacing the non-fouling bottom paint with antifouling.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Bflat on Wed May 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks Craig. Having given it some thought, I don't foresee me keeping my boat in the water for more than a few nights, at most. For that reason I'm becoming inclined to steer clear of bottom paint and find something more durable. I'd be very interested to hear what others may have used.
Bflat

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum