Jib Luff Wire

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Jib Luff Wire

Postby doug@dougbraun.com on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm planning to make my sails from Sailrite kits (I made one of their kits a few years ago for my Skerry). I noticed the their jib design uses a 3/32" 1x19 luff wire (with thimbles and nicopress sleeves) that is sewn more or less permanently into the sail. The Pocketship study plan specifies a 5/32" wire for the jib, and 3/32" seems sort of small to me.
I'm wondering: what does the jib that CLC sells actually have? From one photo I got the impression that it has a 5/32" wire that passes through a sleeve and might be removable, and the tack and head of the sail are are fastened to the cable eyes with shackles or lashing. Is that actually the case?

Thanks,
Doug
doug@dougbraun.com

Re: Jib Luff Wire

Postby Mflyer65 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi Doug,
My jib was purchased from CLC with the kit and it has 5/32 cable installed. Seems right to me. The Bobstay is also 5/32.
Hope that helps,
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby doug@dougbraun.com on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Mflyer65 wrote:Hi Doug,
My jib was purchased from CLC with the kit and it has 5/32 cable installed. Seems right to me. The Bobstay is also 5/32.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Thanks for the reply. Is the wire sewn in, or does it just pass through a sleeve?

Doug
doug@dougbraun.com

Postby Mflyer65 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:44 am

IMG_1217.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 139 times

It is in a narrow pocket, maybe 1 inch wide, and then shackled to a grommet at either end.
Mflyer65

Postby doug@dougbraun.com on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Well, yesterday afternoon (and evening) I sewed up the jib kit. Here is how I did the wire luff. The pocket is wide enough that the wire can be slid out. At the moment the wire is sticking out more than it ought to, and I don't have a suitable shackle yet.

jib.jpg
jib.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Probably in a week or so I'll start on the mainsail.

Doug
doug@dougbraun.com

Return to PocketShip Forum