2 Companionway Questions

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

2 Companionway Questions

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:20 pm

1. The frames for the hood and the slide are fastened with screws - are they permanent or temporary?

2. Do builders glue the hood permanently in place, or use a strong marine caulk as the manual seems to recommend?

Many thanks, as always!
SMHolmans

Re: 2 Companionway Questions

Postby JonLee on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:38 pm

I believe the screws are permanent, or at least they are permanent on mine (I used bronze screws).

I epoxied my hood to the boat. I also just repainted my boat after 8 years of service and that job would have been much easier if the hood could have been removed. Aside from that, I have not run into any downsides from making it permanent.
JonLee

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks Jon. I will now also be using permanent bronze screws to secure the frames, but I'm still unsure about how to secure the hood to the cabin roof. Has anyone used marine caulk?
SMHolmans

Postby Bflat on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:06 pm

I made both the hood and companionway outside parts removable. I used butyl rubber tape as a kind of a gasket and have had zero problems after four rigorous seasons. They're held on with stainless steel screws and fender washers from inside the cabin. I used butyl for the port lights and lazarettes too. I haven't had a need to remove anything yet, but like knowing that if/when I do it will be pretty easy. Butyl rubber is easy to use and doesn't discolor like silicone often does.

Bob
Bflat

Postby SMHolmans on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:51 am

Thanks Bob. That's a really interesting idea. Much appreciated!
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum