Supporting the Removable Tabernacle

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Supporting the Removable Tabernacle

Postby buckeye on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Surfing Youtube I saw a pocketship builder who had glued strips to the outside of bulkhead 2 and I think on the deck as well.
To give the Tabernacle shear support rather than relying exclusively on the bolts through BH2.

It looks to me like an effective way to support a removable tabernacle
I'd like to have a removeable tabernacle but worry that it would be vulnerable in harsh conditions.

Any downside's to this? Looks like a lightweight adder.

Thanks,
Mark
buckeye

Re: Supporting the Removable Tabernacle

Postby TassiePete on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is what you found. The tabernacle has a pretty tight fit between the brackets and is itself through bolted with 4 countersunk M8 and large washers. On the inside is a 19mm piece of hardwood. The brackets are made from 19mm hardwood, and they are fixed to the bulkhead (and the deck) with epoxy and a few stainless screws. Note the drain holes in the brackets.

So far, nothing has failed ....

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG (70.3 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
TassiePete

Postby buckeye on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:12 pm

That looks great.
It's not the one I saw, that one was more like 1x1 cleats.
I like your design better.
I'll go with that. my tabernacle sides are 4/4 mahogany.
Thanks
Mark
buckeye

Postby mark48 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:26 am

Hi Mark,

John Harris has posted detailed instructions on how to build and support a removable tabernacle on the PS Forum. See his post dated 10/17/12 in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=450. There are multiple ways one could do this with lots of other posts on "removable tabernacles." My Puffin's tabernacle was made removable following John's instructions - partly so I could get it into a normal garage. I've had no issues with it - and I'm glad I did make it removable as I had to reinforce the top when I had a split in the tabernacle wood. This required my delivering the tabernacle to a local metal-working shop for a week and I was thankful that I could remove it from the boat. See my posts dated July 29 and August 18, 2019 in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=633&start=20.

Have a great time,
Mark Nunlist
Puffin, 2018
mark48

Return to PocketShip Forum