Lace line Main Sail attachment...

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lace line Main Sail attachment...

Postby Arjen on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am

Hi,

I just returned from my sail-maker which gave me the option to attach the mainsail to the mast with a lace line.
Apart from the fact that I cant find any proper t-track over here in Holland it might give a more authentic look as well.

Does anybody have experience with a lace line?
Arjen

Re: Lace line Main Sail attachment...

Postby Bflat on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pm

As designed, the gaff rides the mast on a sliding gooseneck. Without sail track, "jaws" would be needed to keep the gaff on the mast. There's not much wrong with jaws, but they don't really go with a square mast, and cause chafe (even on a round mast).

With John Harris's blessing, I made round spars, including a hollow mast using the birds mouth method, for my Pocketship only because I wanted the challenge and think they look nice (there's no other advantage). I still use track just because I like having the gaff on a gooseneck, although I've considered switching to jaws and robands or hoops for the traditional look. Lacing on the mast makes reefing a little bit slower than track (I think) because one must tighten the lacing for each reef - that's one more step and one more cleat. Hoops or robands don't have that problem, but have other problems (chafing and jamming).

I DID, however, go WITHOUT track on the gaff, opting for robands to save weight aloft and am quite happy with that decision.

Having said all that, I now realize that you're the guy who built the aluminum boat (looks great). Are you going with aluminum spars?

Cheers,
Bob
Attachments
P1060580.JPG
P1060580.JPG (34.27 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
P1060576.JPG
P1060576.JPG (30.89 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Bflat

Postby Arjen on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for extensive reply.
I already considered the chaving of jaws on the mast. Glad you confirm that too.

I overlooked the slacking of the lace when reefing. Good that you mention that.
Luckily I found a supplier that has sells tracks. A suitable gooseneck with slider still is not easy to find over here.
We don’t have a racelite dealer in Europe.

What gooseneck did you use and where did you bought that?
Cheers
Arjen
Arjen

Postby Bflat on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:32 am

Hi Arjen,
I have the racelite gooseneck. It's included in the hardware package I bought through CLC.
Bob
Bflat

Postby JonLee on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:32 pm

Assuming they do international shipping, you can order the Racelite parts either through Racelite's website or through duckworks.com.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum