Sail and Jib Cover?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sail and Jib Cover?

Postby John in CC on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:22 pm

After watching the CLC pocketship video (the one with the most dangerous jibe). I have seen the sail covers for trailering. CLC really needs to market and sell these things. I promise once they are available I would buy a set. Maybe later seat cushions would be a good item too.
John in CC

Re: Sail and Jib Cover?

Postby slick95 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I, too would purchase a set of covers. I've been wondering where to find these...

Jeff
Jeff
Georgetown, Tx
Pocketship plans build "Old Soul"
http://sailboatbuild.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=1
slick95

Postby Bflat on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Sailrite sells sail cover kits that are fun and easy to assemble, both for mainsails and furled headsails. However, if I could buy ready made covers from CLC I probably would.
Bflat

Postby captain charlie on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi all, I have a fella who has a upholstry shop here in Little Rock who made my trailering sail cover for $350 cash. He is in the process of making another for Dana Cole in Oklahoma. I have been real pleased with it. He uses Sunbrella material (what boat covers are made of). If you are interested, look on the Sunbrella web site to choose color. Be happy to handle any orders if anyone is interested. As I did with Dana, he sent a check which I cashed to give him the cash.The postage can be figured later. regards, captain charlie
captain charlie

Postby mark48 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi all PS builders / owners,

I purchased a cover for the mainsail of Puffin from the fellow in Little Rock (outstanding), but I haven't been able to persuade him to make a jib cover too. So far, CLC has preferred not to connect me with someone to sell just the jib cover. I'll check the Sailrite company referred to above, but do any of you have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
mark48

Postby Wayne G on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Hey Mark,

I also have a sail cover from the fellow in Little Rock, which I use when towing my boat. When not towing I have a full boat cover so I don't have a need for a furled jib cover.

Because the furled jib is secured in the mainsail cover after the tabernacle I believe all that needs to be covered is about 7 feet from the furler to the tabernacle and this could just be a simple rectangle of material rolled around the jib and secured with some sail ties or bungee ball ties. The cover would probably need a slit to accommodate the jib sheets as these would need to remain uncovered. Probably a local car or boat upholsterer could make it more professional with Velcro or zippers if you brought them a mock-up.

I did a quick check on Sail Rite and their cheapest kit is about $250. I'm sure you could make one or have one made for much less than that.

Attached is how I would probably approach it
Attachments
jib cover sketch.jpeg
jib cover sketch.jpeg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby mark48 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi Wayne,

Thanks very much. I need to move near you! :-)

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Return to PocketShip Forum