Texas 200 and reefing

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Texas 200 and reefing

Postby John in CC on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Just got back from the 2017 Texas 200. Two hundred miles up the Texas coast with lots of wind, heat and shallow water!

I would wake up in the mornings with the wind aready blowing 10-12 knots and in Texas it usually builds from there. Although it really didn't get too bad I started the day with the second reef in the sail. I was sailing solo and its a real pain to put in a reef in you need to solo. Easier to take one out not only because the mechanics of the process but conditions that require such a move. I left the extra reef in the last four days. It seems to be not only easy on me but does not stress the rigging either. I also left the jib up. Only the second to last day did I feel like I was playing it too chicken but it was relaxing and was not a race anyway. I was able to sail between 4.5 and 6 knots 95% of the time anyway. It one point going down wind in the surf I did hit 7 knots. (this is all according to the Garmin GPS)

The Pocketship performed beautifully ! The more I sail this boat the better I like it. This being my third attempt to do the 200 I was able to not only finish it, unlike the first two attempts, but finish it very comfortably and ready for more.

Video coming soon!

John in CC

Re: Texas 200 and reefing

Postby riverron on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 am

Sounds like you had fun! I think it is always better to play it safe rather than sorry! I am sure I will be reefing a lot when I get on the water. How did the anchoring go this year? Did you use 2 anchors?

Looking forward to watching the video!
riverron

Postby ddemasie on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm

I would love to do the Texas 200 in my Pocketship, but would also relish the chance to crew for a seasoned veteran before I take that on solo like you have.

Are you willing to take on a crew member next year?
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby Bflat on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Seems like quite a test of both boat and skipper. Am so glad to hear this ringing endorsement of the Pocketship. I'm anxiously waiting to see the video.
Bob
Bflat

Postby John in CC on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm

ddemasie wrote:I would love to do the Texas 200 in my Pocketship, but would also relish the chance to crew for a seasoned veteran before I take that on solo like you have.

Are you willing to take on a crew member next year?

I have crew that has volunteered for next year. If you are looking to crew, the best place to go is the Texas 200 Facebook page and put the word out. There seems to always be guys looking. Facebook pretty much is the go to for their communication.
John in CC

Postby John in CC on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Bflat wrote:Seems like quite a test of both boat and skipper. Am so glad to hear this ringing endorsement of the Pocketship. I'm anxiously waiting to see the video.
Bob

I think the key to solidifying the rigging is getting your guy wires tight. Now that I believe the adjustment is correct I never see slack on the weather side wire when reaching.
John in CC

Postby Bflat on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 pm

John in CC wrote:
Bflat wrote:Seems like quite a test of both boat and skipper. Am so glad to hear this ringing endorsement of the Pocketship. I'm anxiously waiting to see the video.
Bob

I think the key to solidifying the rigging is getting your guy wires tight. Now that I believe the adjustment is correct I never see slack on the weather side wire when reaching.

I said "ringing" not "rigging" but thanks. :D
Bob
Bflat

Postby Shudoman on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Congrats on finishing. I've been following your blog for a long time now. I'm glad that your frustration is finally over!

Great picture, can't wait for the video.

Bill
Shudoman

Return to PocketShip Forum