Motor: which side to mount?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Motor: which side to mount?

Postby Bflat on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 am

I'm having a hard time deciding which side to mount the outboard motor on. Like the Honda, the Suzuki 2.3 motor has its tiller on the port side of the motor. That would seem to favor mounting the motor to starboard of the rudder. Looking at various pics it seems that both sides are commonly used. Does it really make any difference? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: Motor: which side to mount?

Postby riverron on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 am

Bob,
Hmm! I will need to figure this out as well. I looked at a lot of Pocketship pictures and you are right. It's about 50/50. Even looked at other type sailboats. From a performance or technical standpoint, I don't see any difference. Others may have other things I didn't consider. I would think it depends on which side you want to sit to motor and be able to control he engine. I am right handed, so I can see me sitting on the port side leaving/coming back to the dock or ramp. but can I get to the controls? Do you have your motor purchased? You may want to just sit in the boat and see how comfortable either side is and whether you will be able to reach the controls. You have the forward neutral switch location to look at too, not just the trottle. I still haven't picked a motor. I was looking at the Torqeedo, since it has a remote control. I thought that would be easier to control the motor and remove the tiller portion. The Suzuki 2.5 looks good to me as well. Will be interesting to hear others perspectives.

Thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby Shudoman on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am

Hi Guys,

I'm right handed and have a torqueedo. I mounted a removable motor mount on the port side. This works well for the torqueedo since it puts the tiller control over my right thigh when sitting on the port side. Both the engine and rudder tillers are within easy reach of my dominate hand. Usually don't do much steering with the engine, just lock it forward and use the rudder tiller. Haven't tried the torqueedo remote yet. It's an interesting idea but brings about another discussion on where to mount the control...

In the end I don't really think it would matter too much either way, just my preference.

Regards,
Bill
Shudoman

Postby Bflat on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm not concerned with which side when motoring in open water, but rather while docking when the throttle and gear need frequent attention. This is further complicated by the fact that many of the small engines must be spun around to go in reverse. I'm probably overthinking it.
Bflat

Postby craig on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm

I have the Suzuki 2.5 and mounted on the starboard side. It's very convenient. I mounted on this side because Pocketship #1 is similar... never tried the port side, so can't say if it would be superior. I guess your right about the tiller being in a convenient place when starboard mounted.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby John in CC on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:36 pm

craig wrote:I have the Suzuki 2.5 and mounted on the starboard side. It's very convenient. I mounted on this side because Pocketship #1 is similar... never tried the port side, so can't say if it would be superior. I guess your right about the tiller being in a convenient place when starboard mounted.

I am guilty of copying Pocketship #1 too. I think of it like cheating off the really smart kids paper. The starboard side mount has seemed to work just fine.

I only wished I had gone with a long shaft motor. I have a 2.3 HP Honda with the regular length shaft like Pocketship #1 (although it has a 2.0...same shaft though). Getting in and out of a tight labor is no problem but I have had to use the motor in some really rough conditions to stay out of some trouble and the shaft will come out of the water when the waves get big. It has always gotten me out of a potential bind a couple of times and well worth the trouble.
John in CC

Postby Bflat on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Somewhere on this forum John Harris mentioned that the short shaft allows the rudder to be turned without it hitting the propeller. I suspect the long shaft motor's prop might hit the rudder's end plate.
Bflat

Postby Bflat on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 am

Bflat wrote:Somewhere on this forum John Harris mentioned that the short shaft allows the rudder to be turned without it hitting the propeller. I suspect the long shaft motor's prop might hit the rudder's end plate.

Having just installed a lifting mount and a short shaft Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard, I'm not certain of what I said in the post above. Although satisfied with my result (not in the water yet) it looks like I may have gotten away with the long shaft version without it hitting the rudder end plate. The difference I think is the lifting mount. It puts the prop well aft of the rudder's swing radius; more so, perhaps than the stationary mounts, I've seen.
Bob
Bflat

Postby riverron on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:44 am

Bob,
What type of mount did you put in?

thanks
Ron
riverron

Postby Bflat on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 am

Ron,
It's one of those lifting mounts. I got it from West Marine.
It's listed as: 4 Stroke Outboard Motor Bracket, 85 lb. Capacity Model # 11887981
Bob
Bflat

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum