Hardware installation and epoxy

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Hardware installation and epoxy

Postby mark48 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01 am

Hi all,

My hull is painted (woo-hoo!!) and I'm now setting about installing hardware. I've read many forum posts about proper installation, use of epoxy (unthickened, thickened, drill-fill-drill), or some sort of marine caulking substance. E.g., viewtopic.php?f=3&t=611&p=2495&hilit=drill+fill+drill#p2495.

I'm gathering that for the various cleats, cams, etc., on deck, I can seat the screws in (say) 3M 5200. The tabernacle pivot bolt holes are already drill-fill-drilled (as are the various drain holes in the superstructure).

What about the chain plate attachments which are under some stress, and what about the upper eye-bolt hole in the transom for the rudder attachment? I'd hate to mess up my painted hull with thickened epoxy drippings (despite taping compulsively to protect my prior work, I'd be willing to bet some damage would occur to my paint job). Any other hull hardware attachments which should receive some special treatment?

Thanks all who have gone before me (us) and to CLC staff.

Mark Nunlist
Lebanon, NH
mark48

Re: Hardware installation and epoxy

Postby ddemasie on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:29 am

Great questions - and ones I had myself when I got to the point you are at. All that hard work making the paint perfect, the beautiful transom wood, etc.

Here is my overall advice - when doing the finishing hardware (adding the pivot bolts for the rudder, and the deck hardware, etc.) I, too, had to get over the idea that the paint job was more important than completely securing the hardware parts - particularly ones that can be under a lot of load while sailing.

My advice is tape the heck out of the paint job, but be sure to secure everything down. Use the 3M 5200 anywhere metal touches the superstructure, and in/around any holes you have to drill to anchor them. The wood needs to be protected. Make sure things are sealed - you won't get a second chance. On the pivot bolts, get enough thickened epoxy in the hole before you screw it in. Enough that it oozes out as you tighten it. Again, you only get one chance to put it in right.

Properly applied masking (I used both tape and the paper they lay on floors when doing interior construction projects) does a very good job - and you can always go back and lightly sand, and 'touch up' paint any blemishes.

Cosmetic issues are far better to deal with than basic structural - particularly on high load parts.
Dennis DeMasie,
Aurora, IL
ddemasie

Postby JonLee on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am

The scene: You have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours carefully constructing your boat. You are almost done. Jam cleat in one hand, drill in the other, you cast your eyes over a gleaming, perfectly painted surface. You plunge the drill into the surface, creating a hole through the paint and the protective lays of fiberglass and epoxy, straight into the heart of the raw wood.

You: [looking for the quickest way to move on]: I wonder if I really need to seal this hole with epoxy

[A figure looms up behind you. It is none other than a Dark Lord of Boat Building, Darth Leakius]

Darth Leakius: There is no escape! Don't make water intrusion destroy you. You do not yet realize epoxy's importance. You've only begun to discover its power! Without it, water will seep into your plywood causing swelling, delamination, and rot. Mix epoxy, and complete your training! With its combined strength, we can end Water Damage, and bring order to the galaxy.

You: [angrily] The manual never told me to seal it with epoxy!

DL: If only you knew the power of Water Damage. John Harris never told you what happens when you rely on silicone.

You: He told me enough! He said told me unsealed deck penetrations cause Water Damage!

DL: No. Your own laziness causes Water Damage!

You: [shocked] No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

DL: Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

You: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*End of Scene*

The first rule is if you are ever wondering if you should seal something better, but really want to avoid extra work, then you really do need to seal it. Drill-fill-drill everywhere is overkill, though overkill is sometimes ok. There are definitely a few screws on my boat where I only used silicone. They are fine so far, but they also haunt me day and night.
JonLee

Postby Wayne G on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm

I admit that Dark Lekius was my best friend when finishing my PS.

Any holes above the waterline were coated with unthickened epoxy, but no drill-fill-drill because DK told me not to.

My boat is stored on the dry but sailed regularly, no issues so far. It’s now coming up to its 2nd birthday so still a young-un, but so far no issues with water rot or any thing else.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby Pastorjim on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Oh my gosh Jon.... I laughed out loud on that one!!!! But thanks for the great advice!
Pastorjim

Return to PocketShip Forum