New builder coming to the group

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

New builder coming to the group

Postby Mflyer65 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:37 am

I am a newly retired grandpa looking forward to building a PocketShip as it seems many others have enjoyed over the past ~10 years. Seems a great way to celebrate its anniversary.
I am a pilot of small experimental aircraft and have built a couple aluminum and chromoly 4130 and cloth skinned airplanes over the years but always wanted to build a wooden plane.
I have also owned a couple small sailboats over the past lives I have lived and feel that many enjoyed experiences with flying and sailing are similar. My minor health issues of today have sent me back to the joys of sailing.
I am getting my shop (read 2 car garage) setup and hope to begin late February here in Durham, NC.
My thanks to Nicky, Terry, Ed And John for their energetic and helpful answers to my questions while showing me all that they do in Annapolis.

Mike
Mflyer65

Re: New builder coming to the group

Postby riverron on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 am

Hello Mike. Welcome to the forum and starting your build! There are a lot of great people on here with lots of knowledge, so post any questions.
I am still working on my build up in Virginia, so anything I can do to help let me know.

thanks
riverron

Postby mark48 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Welcome, Mike,

Your garage should do just fine, at least until you mount the bowsprit and rudder. :D You also should have reasonable temperatures which will extend your building season over what I've had here in NH.

New builders joining the PS forum keep the exchange of ideas lively; there is a wealth of information on this forum (and on CLC's general forum too) so have a great time and keep us posted with any questions.

Happy New Year,
Mark
mark48

Postby Mflyer65 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Thank Ron and Mark. I am currently installing a split mini heat pump and increasing insulation in the garage . My issue here will be more with the summer heat and humidity I suspect but it can get cold here. Just about 3 weeks ago that storm that came through dumped 15 inches of snow before making things worse up your way. Not something we see here.
I have looked at many blogs including yours. I will need to learn about blogs I guess. I like the idea of showing what is done while asking questions.
Mike
Mflyer65

Return to PocketShip Forum