Position of the inspection plates center board trunk

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Position of the inspection plates center board trunk

Postby Arjen on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:55 am

Hi,

I was just wondering why the inspections holes in the center board trunk are positioned forward.
For example if they were positioned more afterwards you could access the knot. Or am I overseeing something?

Kind regards
Arjen
Arjen

Re: Position of the inspection plates center board trunk

Postby riverron on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I look at mine that I just flipped back over last night!!! :D and you are right, when I open the inspection port, I don't see the knot or can access it. If you did move the port, I am wondering whether it would affect the center board by catching somewhere. Depending on the type of inspection hatch you use, it could stick out into the centerboard area and affect the centerboard or hatch. I think some other builders have noted that. Where it is located now it is completely out of the way. I did check my inspection ports before installing to make sure they were flush.

thanks
riverron

Postby John in CC on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 pm

While on the subject of the inspection ports, be sure they do not protrude into the trunk too far. The brand I used just barely rubbed my centerboard and sometimes would be just enough to keep the centerboard from dropping. It was an easy fix but really had me worried that it was something else. I took the covers to my 6 inch wide standup belt sander it very quickly remedied the problem.
John in CC

Postby Arjen on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Space or "catching" probably will not be an issue in my case.
The trunk has the usual inch of space but I'll us 1/2 inch of aluminum sheet for the centerboard.That has about the same weight as a wooden centerboard with lead.

Watched your movies of the Texas 200 tours John.
Very very inspiring ;)
Arjen

Return to PocketShip Forum