Interior paint?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Interior paint?

Postby SMHolmans on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi all. I'm thinking about how to paint the interior of my PS. The build manual says to use oil-based household paint, but I'm wondering if that's really tough enough for a boating space. Would marine paint be a more durable choice? Views welcome.

I'm going to paint inside the rearmost sealed stern compartment, if that's makes a difference to your advice.

Thanks!

Steve
SMHolmans

Re: Interior paint?

Postby riverron on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm

I have read on many blogs that others have used a variety of different paints. Not sure there is a specific right way. I personally used Interlux Brightside that CLC sells. I mainly did it to get some practice for when I painted the outside. Also, now my paint will match both inside and out.
riverron

Postby SMHolmans on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks Ron. I may do the same i.e. use the same marine paint that the kit supplier recommends for the exterior. However, I have just discovered something called 'bilge paint'. The UK manufacturer of this bilge paint says it is suitable for interior application in a marine environment where it is going to get wet, so it should be tough enough. I will call them for advice.
SMHolmans

Postby Wayne G on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 pm

I went with the build manual recommendation and used basic oil based paint for the interior. For me it was definitely the way to go as the oil paint is more hard wearing and durable than the Interlux Brightsides that I used on the exterior. It is also impervious to moisture which is important for the bilge and the lazarette compartments which tend to collect water.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby mark48 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 am

I also used oil-based interior paint for the interior of my PS. I know Interlux Brightsides paint doesn't do well on a surface which collects standing water, tending to get bubbles in the paint surface over time; I wouldn't use it in a bilge area where standing water is expected - but we'd hope there wouldn't be standing water in a PS bilge. The bubbles I experienced occurred on a topsides deck which had been submerged under a pool of rainwater for a week or so last summer, have since disappeared after a winter season with no standing water on the surfaces and have not since reappeared when re-exposed to rain. However, that experience led me to use a dedicated "bilge paint" for the interior of my Eastport Nesting Pram.

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Postby SMHolmans on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks Mark. After some deliberation I'm going to use bilge paint. It seems that it is intended for damp, internal marine spaces.

Steve
SMHolmans

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am

Update on interior paint … I have purchased the paint package from the UK supplier of PocketShip. It includes 2.5 litres of bilge paint, and they recommend three coats of it in the sealed bow and stern compartments, and below the floorboards. So that is what I will do!

I will find a tough oil based household paint for the cabin above the water line.

Cheers,

Steve
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum