Boom Gallow - what holds it on?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Boom Gallow - what holds it on?

Postby riverron on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 am

I have drilled my holes for the boom gallow and the poles go in as designed. What holds the boom gallow on? Adhesive or a screw through the side? What did others do? It’s tight, but I don’t want it coming off driving down road.

Thanks
riverron

Re: Boom Gallow - what holds it on?

Postby mark48 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 am

I'm not aware that anyone has fastened the boom gallows on the poles. I wouldn't use an adhesive in any event because you may want to remove and refinish the gallows at some point. I know one builder drilled the gallows holes very slightly closer together than the distance between poles, drawing the uprights together in order to slip the gallows into place. My boom gallows on Puffin needs some persuasion to go into place or be removed in any event; and once the mast is folded down and lashed onto the boom gallows for travel, I don't think the gallows can come off on the road.
mark48

Postby riverron on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks Mark. The boom gallow is definitely tight going on and coming off, so I should be good as you said. I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
riverron

Postby chaertl on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi Ron,

Mine were glued in nine years ago. There hasn't been any issues since.

Chris
chaertl

Postby riverron on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 am

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the feedback. What type glue did you use? I am definitely waiting until I get the boat out of the garage to do anything, otherwise it won’t fit! :lol: also thinking if I want to put back in, so a few things to consider.

Thanks
riverron

Postby chaertl on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 am

I just used lightly thickened epoxy to glue the tubes in. The lower end is held in by a set screw in the stanchion mounts in the rope lockers. Just loosen the screws and the whole assembly lifts out. Coming out of the garage I had about 1" clearance but that was on the tabernacle. I don't remember if the gallows was on at that time though.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum