Ran short of fiberglass and epoxy

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Ran short of fiberglass and epoxy

Postby Mflyer65 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:33 am

Well, I knew I would waste some cloth and epoxy while learning how to manage mixing, timing and filling weaves but so far I have only covered the areas as instructed in the manual. I am just about ready to flip the boat to cover the outside hull and see that I have about 2+ yards of 50 inch left with another yard or so of cut-offs and maybe 1 gallon of epoxy remaining.
I will order more material since I am sure some of the shortage is due to my novice experience, but just wondering if anyone else ran short by much when utilizing the kit and by how much? I will need to order enough to cover the entire hull, having enough for now to cover the transom at least.
Thanks
Mflyer65

Re: Ran short of fiberglass and epoxy

Postby riverron on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:21 pm

I ran short on epoxy, but I know I wasted a lot with typically making too much for a job. I did order more fiberglass, since I did install on some extra areas, like both sides of the seat decks.
riverron

Postby Mflyer65 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks Ron,
I will be ordering materials this coming week.
I watched some of your progress while looking at various builds this week. Sure looks great. I hope I'll eventually get to paint something soon. I have not kept my time on the build but think I am well past 4-500 hours by now.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby riverron on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks Mike! I am still having fun, even though it is taking me forever to finish. We are in no time limit, so I am still enjoying the ride.
riverron

Postby buckeye on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:30 am

I just had to order 20 more yards of glass. I have a very old kit.
But I suspect it's the result of a conversion error.
The boat needs 50 linear yards of 50" glass.
I expect it contained 50 square yards at 50".
buckeye

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:26 pm

I have just had to purchase a lot more epoxy resin since I am about to run out and I haven't even flipped the hull yet! As others have said, I have wasted a lot due to inexperience and mixing too much resin for the task in hand, but even so ... not enough supplied with the kit.

I am also certain that I am going to run out of 'glass cloth quite soon. I don't know how much more I will need, but it will be a lot. In this case I have wasted very little cloth, so the supply list for the kit is just plain wrong.

It's also wrong for micro fibres and wood flour - I've got enough to build several boats!

This design isn't exactly a prototype - at over twelve years old I would expect such discrepancies to have been resolved.

But I'm not really complaining. I'm having such a great time building PocketShip that I can forgive her eccentricities ... I think.
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum