Centerboard penant

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Centerboard penant

Postby chaertl on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:09 am

Hi Everyone,

Long time no post. Just pulled the Chucky B. out of winter storage and everything seemed to hold up just fine. That said, the centerboard pennant is going on ten years old at this point and looking kind of questionable. Has anyone had to replace theirs's yet? If so how did you do it with the boat on the trailer?

Thanks,

Chris
chaertl

Re: Centerboard penant

Postby Wayne G on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:26 am

Hi Chris,

I haven’t replaced the pennant and I’m not certain it could be done on the trailer.

The options I can think of are:
1. Jack up the boat off the trailer and remove the center board.
2. Careen the boat at a dock or ramp to access the centerboard and pennant.
3. On the trailer, access the pennant via the CB inspection port and splice in a new piece below where the pennant runs over the sheave (assuming the pennant wear is where it is in contact with the sheave).
4. Don’t mess with it until the pennant fails (my preferred choice).
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby JonLee on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:35 pm

When I replaced my whole centerboard, I did the careen at the dock option. Even with all the ballast removed, and 3-to-1 purchase on a line to the masthead, it took some effort to pull the boat onto her side--I tied up the boat ramp for quite a while, but had picked a very quiet off season day. I taped a smaller line to the cockpit end of the pendant so that I would have a way to easily fish the new line through.

In a recent issue of Small Boats Monthly, the was an article on building you own gantry crane to lift your boat. Looks pretty straightforward, and I might consider doing something like that to lift the boat off the trailer (and set it down on blocks) if I ever had to do work on the underside of the hull again.
JonLee

Postby chaertl on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks guys,

I should have done this a couple years ago when I took it off the trailer to inspect the bottom of the keel. Might just do that again this year since I'm planning on repainting and it hasn't been rigged yet. The pennant is still functional but it's 9 years old and looking pretty rough. The launch I use is pretty shallow for about 100 yards out and I'd hate to have try and drag a board across the bottom that far if it broke.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum