Centerboard Pendant Thimble Problem

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Centerboard Pendant Thimble Problem

Postby Bflat on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 am

Shudoman,
Thanks for posting this. I've marked it in my manual.
Bob
Bflat

Postby Shudoman on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 am

Just a follow up note. I repaired this just as I had outlined. I sealed the interior of the new hole (which was only drilled deep enough for the bushing) with unthickened epoxy and waited for it to cure. I then scuffed up the outside of the bushing with sandpaper and then coated it in a thin layer of epoxy before setting it in the hole. I was able to easily feed the pendant back by hand (I may have just gotten lucky) from the inside.

In the end you'd never know anything went wrong. The result was about 15 min more of work and considerable angst that was unwarranted. I still would have liked to have done this correctly from the get-go.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:32 am

One question: How did you manage to keep the drill bit centered in the hole?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 am

I used a drill guide attachment for a standard 3/8" handheld drill.
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Sorry, but I'm still not clear. I know of a couple types of drill guides, one that has holes the bits fit into, and one that attaches to the drill motor itself--makes it into a kind of mini-drillpress. Of the former, I have never seen one with holes larger than 3/8", so I'm assuming you are talking about the latter type that attaches to the drill motor. That still seems to me it would be a bit unwieldy if you are using a spade bit. Are you using a 5/8" metal bit?

Do you have a piece of equipment I don't know about (and really need)?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:58 pm

Yep. I used the second one you described. There was just enough purchase at the front of the footwell for this to work. The cordless drill I used has its battery at the base of the handle and I had to turn it handle up to fit. It actually was easier to do it than describe it.
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks. Could you let me know the brand and model drill guide?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am

Shudoman

Postby airmech on Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi All,
I'm at the building the centerboard trunk stage and I've been thinking about this problem. My line of thought is to...
Drill the 5/8" hole in the aft trunk blocking before it is even glued up. Fill the hole then re-drill the 5/8" hole just deep enough for the thimble, keeping in mind bulkhead #7 thickness. Then drill the 3/8" hole from the inside to make sure it is centered.

I thinking this may work because it can all be done on the bench, and I can assure the wood is completely sealed. I realize I will have to figure out how to deal with the bulkhead #7 hole alignment when it gets installed.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Jon
Jon Edwards
Portland OR
airmech

Postby riverron on Mon May 25, 2020 8:43 am

Hey Jon,
It sounds like it would work and that others did it as well. I just followed the steps in the manual and did the drill-fill-drill method. I took my time and double checked things before drilling.
If I recall the thimble is 5/8”, so you will need to go larger for just that portion. With bulkhead 7 adding thickness/depth to that side, how will you seal that portion? Just thinking ahead.
Thanks
riverron

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum