Pocketship 1 refit

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Pocketship 1 refit

Postby wmewheel on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:07 am

Question for John,

I noticed a while back you posted that when Pocketship 1 went in for a refit, it received a new transom.
Wonder if you could elaborate on that and what, if anything, you'd have done differently in construction.
My kit that I'm building from is 8 years old so I may have missed a change.

Thanks,
Mark
wmewheel

Re: Pocketship 1 refit

Postby wmewheel on Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:59 am

Long running joke with my kids. They ask “is the pocketship still two dimensional?
At last it is taking shape, thanks to quarantine.
wmewheel

Postby SMHolmans on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm

I would be very interested to learn the details of the transom replacement. That seems like a major repair to a relatively young boat.
SMHolmans

Postby craig on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi wmewheel,

8 years! Are you the original owner? That must have been back when Pocketship was first released.

Did you see this article on clcboats.com where John discusses the transom? I don't think there has been anything posted on this forum about it, but I could be wrong.
https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats- ... s-age.html

As for modifications, John posted some manual changes he made on this site a few years ago, so go back through the archives. They mostly relate to rigging details not described in the plans.

Make sure you double and triple fiberglass tape the bulkhead 2/cabin roof joint.

I permanently sealed off under the footwell with plywood, making two separate lazarette compartments. Those frequently get water in them and this prevents it getting all in the foam.

Those are the first things I could think of.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby wmewheel on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:51 am

Very helpful thanks. I had searched the forum but couldn’t find anything. I’ve already noticed that the transom marine plywood is so fine grained that it doesn’t soak in the epoxy very much. I’ll be sure to maintain it carefully.

Yes I bought the kit early, made the keel, cb and rudder and then set it aside.
Enjoying the build now.

I see the attraction of sealing off the lazarettes, but also thought I might want that space.
The option of removing the foam and using the space.
Keeping flotation by putting gear in dry bags for a longer trip
wmewheel

Postby wmewheel on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:36 am

Reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with Dynamite Payson while building a skiff
He recommended plain exterior grade plywood from a home center as it absorbs lots of epoxy.
Probably not the best solution for ease of building (Lots of fairing) or weight optimization or epoxy consumption.
But that skiff is still going strong after 20 years.
wmewheel

Return to PocketShip Forum