Dorade Box Question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Dorade Box Question

Postby SMHolmans on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 am

Hi all. I am wiring in my Dorade boxes and I have made a bizarre discovery. The only way the Dorade box sides provided in the kit will fit together in the deck well results in a squared forward face - not angled forward, as shown in the drawings and the build manual.

Even stranger, the angle between the Dorade box sides in my boat is the same as in the drawings!

My conclusion is that the parts provided in my kit are dimensionally different to those depicted in the drawings and build manual.

Has anybody else encountered this issue?
SMHolmans

Re: Dorade Box Question

Postby Bflat on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:23 am

P1050519.JPG
P1050519.JPG (158.26 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
I discovered the same thing, but only after I'd glassed them in. I became concerned that water on the deck might get stuck in that corner and not reach the drain holes (especially if parked on un-level ground). So, I modified it with scrap ply. I hope the attached photo helps. My solution added weight, but I thought it was important enough to change it. My build is long enough ago that I have no memory as to why this glitch happened.

Cheers,
Bob (boat name:Luna)
Last edited by Bflat on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bflat

Postby SMHolmans on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks Bob! This must surely be an error, either in the drawings or in the kit pieces. What did other builders find at this point?
SMHolmans

Postby riverron on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:24 pm

I just went out and looked at mine and the angle is similar to Bob’s with the added piece. I recall having to play with the two pieces, because I had a similar concern. Whichever angle you come up with, the top deck will be trimmed to fit it, so you should be fine. Also, note that the angle of the horizontal bow decking sloping back will help to drain water. Worse case, you could put a drain hole in the corner of concern and have it to drain into the dorado box and go out the side.
riverron

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:29 am

Thanks Ron. It's clearly another 'feature' of PocketShip. I'm not going to worry about it too much. Thanks again!
SMHolmans

Return to PocketShip Forum