Another new builder, and a bandsaw question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Another new builder, and a bandsaw question

Postby [email protected] on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Hello,

I built a Skerry a few years ago and I really enjoyed the process, so I decided to go big.
My Pocketship kit is on order. While waiting for it to arrive, it's been fun reading all the
blogs by other builders.

I just bought a new 14" bandsaw to replace my junky little 8" model. Even if I hardly need it
for my build it was worth it: I found I could do a more precise job on small items with the new
machine than with the old one.

I am wondering: what type of bandsaw blade would be most useful for a Pocketship build?
I imagine that the saw will be most useful for parts like the companionway and the boom gallows,
which means I would be cutting gentle curves in material 1 or 2 inches thick.

Thanks,
Doug
[email protected]

Re: Another new builder, and a bandsaw question

Postby riverron on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:13 pm

Welcome Doug and congratulations on starting your new build! Lots of good people on here willing to help!

I just finished my build and used a Craftsman 10” saw. I used a combination of 3/8” and 1/4” blades.
I used the bandsaw on a lot of the parts you mentioned and more. I felt it was safer to me than my table saw.
I am no expert on blades, but these worked for me.

Good luck!
riverron

Postby [email protected] on Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:10 pm

While waiting for my kit to be ready I made this:
PXL_20201109_214134894 (2).jpg
Made from Sailrite kit
PXL_20201109_214134894 (2).jpg (220.65 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
[email protected]

Postby Wood_Ogre on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:49 am

I have been a professional wood worker for over 50 years . I build boats, furniture cabinets and architectural wood working. The best blade for your 14 inch bandsaw is a 3/8 inch Timber Wolf. You can find them on Amazon. I can do just about anything with that one blade except very fine scroll work. Can even re-saw with it. Most 14 inch band saws don't have enough HP to re-saw with a wider blade. I re sharpen the blade while it is still on the saw with Dremel tool. I never de tension the blade because the Timber Wolf blade dose not have very much tension. Just turn the blade a few inches every few days by hand so the wheels don't develop flat spots.
Wood_Ogre

Postby [email protected] on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:28 am

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions for tooth style and teeth-per-inch? There seem to be so many varieties of blades for bandsaws...

Wood_Ogre wrote: The best blade for your 14 inch bandsaw is a 3/8 inch Timber Wolf. You can find them on Amazon. I can do just about anything with that one blade except very fine scroll work. Can even re-saw with it.
[email protected]

Postby Wood_Ogre on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 am

Four teeth per inch.
Wood_Ogre

Return to PocketShip Forum