Coming up short on stringer stock

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Coming up short on stringer stock

Postby [email protected] on Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of installing all the cleats and stringers that support the floorboards, foredeck, main deck, and footwell.
I bought the milled timber package, which contains 11 8-foot pieces of 3/4x1" cypress strips for this purpose, but
it doesn't seem to be enough. I counted and measured all the necessary pieces. There are 38 pieces, with a total length
of about 98.75 feet. This would require at least 13 pieces of 8-foot stock, but the timber package contained only 11,
which is what was specified on the checklist that came with the kit. (The 3/4x1 used for sheer clamps and cabin carlins
aren't included here, and were in the kit, marked with their purpose.)

Could I be confused? Have other people purchased a milled timber package and had enough 3/4x1 for everything?

Thanks,
Doug
[email protected]

Re: Coming up short on stringer stock

Postby mark48 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:51 am

Hi Doug,

I was at this stage a couple years ago and I can't accurately recall whether I had enough or not - and I well might not have had enough if I didn't "measure twice." In any event, I'd phone CLC and ask them directly. I've found the CLC staff to be unfailingly helpful.

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:05 pm

The cutting list is wrong. I had the same problem. My kit supplier in the UK (Fyne Boat Kits) provided additional cleat material - they're really helpful. I'm sure CLC will do the same, although very honestly I would think that such errors would have been ironed out by now!
SMHolmans

Postby Mflyer65 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:29 pm

I was also short cleat material. I was able to make up some from my own stock and CLC also helped out. Give them a call.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby [email protected] on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm

To figure out how much stringer stock I actually needed, I measured every piece and put together a spreadsheet.
Unfortunately I can't attach a .xlsx or .pdf version, so here is a link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZm0W8 ... sp=sharing

Maybe somebody will find it useful. But don't use it for cutting: the lengths are rounded to the nearest inch.

BTW, the grand total is 98 feet and one inch. But that does not take into account the waste from cutting
the pieces from 8-foot stock. My calculations say you would need 13 pieces, and my reality agrees with that.

BTW, I have been in touch with CLC about this, and I'm sure they will resolve it.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 am

The resolution: CLC quickly and cheerfully sent me plenty of extra stringer stock (as well as a floorboard piece to
replace one that had gone crooked), and I have made and installed all the stringers and cleats.
The next step is all the sanding and finishing of the hull interior.

Doug
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum