hull assembly: epoxy on bulkheads 1 and 2

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

hull assembly: epoxy on bulkheads 1 and 2

Postby dbeck on Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Hi there,

I have a question on when to epoxy bulkheads 1 and 2 during hull assembly. Looking at the figures on page 77 in the manual I get the impression, both bulkheads are NOT treated with epoxy prior to stitching and gluing (with fillets) to the floor and side panels. On page 78 it looks like bulkheads 1 and 2 are epoxied (but no glass except for the overlaps with the floorboards) at the time when the floor boards in the forward compartment get glassed. Is this correct?

Dietrich
dbeck

Re: hull assembly: epoxy on bulkheads 1 and 2

Postby Hooky on Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:38 pm

G’Day Dietrich, I coated all the bulkheads with one coat of resin prior to installation. My thoughts were it was easy to do when layed flat on a bench. I am using “Bote-Cote” epoxy resin (an Australian developed resin) with a diluting agent called “TPRDA” for the first coat which penetrates more deeply into a timber surface and carries the timber preservative into the timber.
I hope this was helpful
Cheers mate
Terry
https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com/
Hooky

Postby [email protected] on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:37 pm

For bulkheads in general you have to consider these points:

1: If you do not apply any coats of epoxy before installing and filleting the bulkheads, they will have uncoated endgrain that may or may not be sealed by the fillets.
You will also have to apply (and sand) all the coats of epoxy to the installed vertical bulkheads, which is a hassle.

2: If you apply and sand all the coats before installation, it will be easier, but the nice epoxied surfaces will probably get messed up in places from sanding the fillets.

i compromised by applying and sanding the first two coats on the bench, and then applying and sanding the last coat after the filleting.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:44 pm

One more thing about bulkhead 2: it is very important to be sure it is installed perfectly vertical and square, without any twist
or warping. The large cutouts make it vulnerable to getting deformed. Remember that the tabernacle is attached to it!
If necessary, temporarily clamp some straight pieces of wood to it during installation and filleting.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby Hooky on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 pm

Good tip thanks Doug, perfect timing I’m planning on commencing assembly soon
Cheers mate
Terry

Last edited by Hooky on Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooky

Postby dbeck on Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:30 am

Thanks for your replies. Two coats of epoxy plus sanding prior installation sounds like a good compromise.

Dietrich
dbeck

Postby airmech on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:34 am

I actually fiber glassed bulkhead 2 thinking its a bit structural since it holds the tabernacle and installed the doubler for the tabernacle mount before installing in the boat, it also stiffens up the bulkhead. Like others have said I figure its easier to do on the bench.
Also it does want to warp a bit when trying to glue it into the boat so I used a piece of aluminum angle and clamped it to the bulkhead while it is installed to make sure it is straight and not warped.
Jon Edwards
Portland OR
airmech

Postby Hooky on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Another good idea thanks Jon, did you glass both sides of bulkhead two?
Terry

Last edited by Hooky on Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooky

Postby airmech on Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:20 am

Yes, I glassed both sides, I guess I was on a roll and thought why not. Some may argue it adds a bit of top weight to the boat but figured it was negligible and what I read, you want a bit of weight in the bow of boat.
I've read a couple of stories on this board about the bulkhead failing due to high winds and the mast mast cables not tensioned correctly. I wanted a bit of safety margin since I've never rigged a sailboat and will probably fall into a not properly rigged boat on the first couple of trips sailing.
Jon Edwards
Portland OR
airmech

Return to PocketShip Forum