Introduction - Build starting in SC

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Introduction - Build starting in SC

Postby BillR on Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:25 pm

slash2 wrote:Ok I’ll bite. I assume the plane is Hurl Maker I or II. So what’s the third?

Nope, the Hurl Maker I was a car I used to campaign in SCCA events. I instructed in the car and it would never fail to get someone sick. The plane is the Hurl Maker II. Thus, the Pocketship will be Hurl Maker III.

Surprisingly, for all the rides I have given in the plane, including aerobatics and straight and level flights in choppy air, it hasn't produced the same results as the car, thank goodness!
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby BillR on Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:13 pm

Today, after my 14-year-old came home from school we started on our Pocketship.

My son got to play some power tools he has not used before (reciprocating saw, belt sander, and random orbital sander) cutting out to prep the trunk halves for epoxy.

Then we put one layer of epoxy on one side of the trunk halves.

Step one completed.
BillR

Postby Brent65 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:17 pm

Bill,

Glad to have you as a builder and contributor. My thoughts and posts can be found here:

https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

The most important tools for me beyond the obvious are: 1-a Shinto Rasp and 2- the 6" orbital sander from Festol with accompanying vacuum. I would never start this boat without a vacuum attached to my sander. Just my 2 cents...
Brent Butikofer
Build Blog: http://www.idahopocketship.wordpress.com
Previous Builds: Scamp, Skiff America 20
Never Stop Exploring
Never Stop Learning
Brent65

Postby slash2 on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:40 am

Totally agree on those two tools. I recently discovered the Shinto is available with for and aft handles like a plane. I like that one as it keeps my hands from banging into stuff.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Jray on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:04 pm

Howdy there from another Pocketship builder/owner in Greenville!
Just checked the blog again and saw your post. I used this blog a lot during the build. I contributed to the errata posting as well.

I started mine in Oct 2021 and finished her nine months later. I had an RV garage to build her in. Insulated it with inside tent/foam and heaters and built during the winter too. I have her out on Lake Hartwell at Western Carolina Sailing Club. Got about 90 sailing hrs logged on her. I plan on going down to the Florida 120 next month for a 4 day sailing meet.

We should meet. I enjoyed my build process immensely and would be happy to look at yours and offer any advise/help. I saw your list of tools too. Looks good but I really liked my belt sander, which you didn’t mention. I also have a heater for melting lead which i will never use again, which you are welcome to.

I outfitted mine for more than just day sailing. I have 100W solar panel, 60 AH battery, nav lights, cabin lights, VHF radio.
Basic boat is mostly stock. I did seal up the back foam compartment as some suggested.

I have spent several 2 and 3 day sailing/camping trips. I also ordered a kit from Sailrite for and asymmetrical spinaker and sewed it up. Also sail covers.

Also, if you would like to join me for a sail, that would be great too.

Give me a yell - John at [email protected] and/or 864-963-4461
Jray

Postby Jray on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:17 pm

Read closer and you do have a belt sander - sorry. I also have a laser level which I used to mark the waterline and also used to true up the keel/spars. You are welcome to borrow, if you don’t already have one.

I suggest you use a jig to cut all your scarfs on a table saw. I did my first few with a hand plane then saw the post about a 10-1 jig and was MUCH easier and faster and more precise.

Best advise I can give is take your time to get it right. I had a few oopsies which I maybe could have blown off, but was happy that i went back and corrected each one.
Jray

Postby Hooky on Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:19 am

G'Day Bill,
Welcome to the PocketShip building family.
I personally do not think it matters what order you build the boat, many builders start at different sections, what I would suggest is regard each section a separate project and enjoy it.
From what I have read on the forum and in the many blogs is that the building sequence is determined by a number of different factors including workshop space, current climate, tools, expertise, finances etc. Its flexible to suit your situation.
I found it so helpful to read every post on the forum, every blog and Vlog on Youtube. We are lucky that there have been many PocketShip builds to date with advise and help.
I have certainly adopted many ideas and mods from previous builders and am very thankful for them. I have listed my step-by-step build with all the additions and mods in my blog which is a "Manual" style of blog, check it out.

Cheers Terry from down under.

https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com
Hooky

Postby BillR on Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:11 pm

I am finally back to work on our PS.

The summer has been really busy with multiple vacations, which is really unusual for us, not that I'm complaining.

It seams like every thing I own broke down this summer. I'm happy to say, I have caught up on the repairs. (However, I still need to paint the new spinner I fitted to the plane.)

The centerboard is full of lead and needs to be fiberglassed. I need to read the directions to make sure I do that properly.

Today, with the help of my father-in-law, we assembled the hull jig, melted and poured the lead in the keel. Before the week is out, I hope to seal the top of the keel, set it in the jig, and start fitting the hull planks. That's a lot to do in a week, but sounds like a good goal.
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby Hooky on Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:10 am

G'Day Bill,
Welcome to the PocketShip builders' family. I hope you and your young bloke enjoy building this lovely little yacht. It amazing how you will convert straight pieces of timber and plywood into a beautiful traditional timber yacht with lovely curved lines.
The forum and blogs will be your best source for hints, tips and information, not to mention mods. As indicated by others It doesn't really matter what order you commence the build, its more determined by your ability to store the completed components.
At your current stage my tip for you would be to prepare and organise your workshop for the build. Things like good sturdy benches, an epoxy station, a glass cloth station and a tool cart on wheels that can be moved around the build and puts most used tools at arm's reach.
And most importantly a dust extraction system, you are going to make lots of dust and some of it is dangerous for lung health.
I have added a number of mods to my build but be mindful that mods increase the build time quite considerably and are dependent on what you intend to use the boat for.
Check out my blog:
https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com
Anyway, that's my two cents worth, enjoy the build.
Cheers Terry from down under.
Hooky

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum