Question on dorade boxes fit

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Question on dorade boxes fit

Postby dbeck on Sun May 07, 2023 12:49 pm

Hello Pocketship Builders,

today I made a first dry fit of the panels of the dorade boxes. I did draw a vertical line on BH2 where the carlins are mounted, aligned one panel to this line and I believe I did things according to the manual and the panels of the boxes have correct orientation. But.... the upper edge of the inner panel is by far lower than upper edge of BH2.
dorade_dryfit1.JPG
dorade_dryfit1.JPG (87.3 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

dorade_dryfit.2.JPG
dorade_dryfit.2.JPG (126.78 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

One might suspect that BH2 is too high above the foredeck, but the kink at the side of BH2 and the joint between upper/lower side panels fit almost perfectly. Maybe BH2 is about 2mm higher, but not that much.

The figure on page 158 of the manual shows a nice fit at the top but the panel does not really sit on the foredeck. Hm...
dorade_manual.png
dorade_manual.png (54.95 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

What to do? On the one hand I am thinking of just cutting two new panels from scrap pieces of plywood. On the other hand we are building from kit and this is the first time where s.th. does fit badly. So am I am scratching my head.

Did s.o. of you encounter similar problems? Any idea?

Cheers,

Dietrich
dbeck

Re: Question on dorade boxes fit

Postby [email protected] on Sun May 07, 2023 3:49 pm

Not much you can do except make a bigger piece, or glue a little scrap to the existing piece. Does the other side have the same issue?
A lack of symmetry is a bigger issue, since it implies that other things might be crooked.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby Creekboater on Sun May 07, 2023 6:32 pm

I have a kit too. I’m nowhere close to installaing my dorado boxes but I do have the larger box pieces cut out already and have my cleats glued to BH2. I just went down to the basement and my large box pieces fit correctly, flush to the top of BH2. Could you simply have the piece oriented wrong? Hard to think the kit would be off without it being widely known.
http://sisterspocketship.com
* Jimmy Skiff II
* amateur for sure (builder/sailor)
* impossible to insult my intelligence
Creekboater

Postby Creekboater on Sun May 07, 2023 6:33 pm

Creekboater wrote:I have a kit too. I’m nowhere close to installaing my dorado boxes but I do have the larger box pieces cut out already and have my cleats glued to BH2. I just went down to the basement and my large box pieces fit correctly, flush to the top of BH2. Could you simply have the piece oriented wrong? Hard to think the kit would be off without it being widely known.

Sorry about that. I just read that you had already checked the orientation. Never mind.
http://sisterspocketship.com
* Jimmy Skiff II
* amateur for sure (builder/sailor)
* impossible to insult my intelligence
Creekboater

Postby Dmitriy on Mon May 08, 2023 1:41 am

dbeck wrote: I am thinking of just cutting two new panels from scrap pieces of plywood.

Hello!
In my opinion this would be the best option.

I build from drawings and have recently passed this stage. There were no problems with height. There was a problem with the angle of the walls of dorade boxes, but this was solved with the help of sanding.
Dmitriy

Postby Dmitriy on Mon May 08, 2023 6:21 am

Or push it towards the board until the top matches up
Dmitriy

Postby dbeck on Mon May 08, 2023 10:59 am

Hi there,

thank you for your feedback. I'll go back, double check, and probably cut some new panels.

Dietrich
dbeck

Postby dbeck on Mon May 15, 2023 3:14 pm

I have asked CLC about it, and they confirmed the dorade boxes shall be constructed as shown in the manual. Issue solved and everyone who got concerned can stop reading :-)

But...
dorade-fit.png
dorade-fit.png (76.86 KiB) Viewed 1269 times

On the plans it seems the dorade boxes are intend meet BH2 at the outside edge of the companionway hood. However, the picture agrees with the position described in the manual (of course, as I believe this is PS #1).

Anyhow, we tried to fit the panels of the dorade boxes to the position indicated in the plans. Here, the joint of the inner panels with BH2 is about 3.5 cm more to the outside. And - suprise - the fit was so much better. Moreover all the angles now match the angles shown in the plans. This is our choice.

Cheers, Dietrich
dbeck

Return to PocketShip Forum