Painting the waterline and stripe

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Painting the waterline and stripe

Postby Pasi in Finland on Wed May 17, 2023 11:13 pm

Hi,

This is propably a stupid question but I thought I’d ask anyway:

I’m about the paint the botton of the boat and the waterline is clear: i will use a laser level to trace it out. But what about the decorative stripe above it (or below now that the boat is upside down)? Is it also a projection, so i just move the laser and trace the upper and lower edge of the stripe? That will mean the width and position will vary with the angle of the hull. Or is the stripe and/or distance from waterline equal width?

I’d hate to go through the trouble of painting and then concluding I assumed wrong.

Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Re: Painting the waterline and stripe

Postby SMHolmans on Thu May 18, 2023 4:56 am

Hi Pasi. The width of the stripe varies with the angle of the sides and bottom of the hull, most noticeably on the bottom towards the transom. I had the same question. I used a laser level and it worked just fine. It looks great!
Steve
SMHolmans

Postby Pasi in Finland on Thu May 18, 2023 5:20 am

Excellent, thanks Steve!

I read your very good blog and was coming to the same conclusion, but it looks a bit funny when viewing from the top when I taped it.

Also in many youtube videos they do boot stripes with tape, which obviously does not vary in width.

I guess there are many ways to approach this.

I’m off to my building shed and I’ll be firing my giant ”laser” ( :D sorry for this joke. Only some of you will get it :-))

Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Postby SMHolmans on Thu May 18, 2023 7:43 am

Be careful what you do with that giant laser, Pasi. You might alarm the neighbours ...
SMHolmans

Postby [email protected] on Fri May 19, 2023 5:05 pm

I bought a $35 laser level from Amazon, and it worked great for marking all paint lines.
You just have to make sure the boat is level, and the laser is at the same height for each side.
Also, in case you are working in a cramped area, you only have to put the laser about 4 feet away from the boat.

Doug
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum