PocketShip Launch and the very first PocketShip fleet sail..

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShip Launch and the very first PocketShip fleet sail..

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Pete M. launched his PocketShip on Saturday in beautiful late Fall weather here in Annapolis. When I heard he'd be launching nearby, I HAD to hitch up PocketShip #1 to join in the fun.

After the usual rigging fuss associated with all first launches, we got underway in 5-12 knots of breeze and sailed for an hour or two in company. Either his boat is faster than mine or he caught all the lucky shifts, as he opened up quite a lead during a few puffs. Thanks to me getting my outboard bracket not-quite-right, I was dragging a little bit of my lower unit, which probably gave him an advantage. I know that sailing with another nicely-built PocketShip pushed all of my competitive buttons!

Pete's PocketShip bears hull number 15. Looking forward to more hulls in the water so we can have a proper race, or at least a friendly rally.

IMG_4990.jpg
IMG_4990.jpg (281.3 KiB) Viewed 24931 times

IMG_5074.jpg
IMG_5074.jpg (206.84 KiB) Viewed 24935 times

IMG_5052.jpg
IMG_5052.jpg (184.76 KiB) Viewed 24816 times

IMG_5042.jpg
IMG_5042.jpg (261.43 KiB) Viewed 24918 times

IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG (225 KiB) Viewed 25480 times

McCrary Bow Quarter.jpg
McCrary Bow Quarter.jpg (282.27 KiB) Viewed 24900 times

McCrary Starboard Side.jpg
McCrary Starboard Side.jpg (271.25 KiB) Viewed 24850 times

McCrary Shelf.jpg
McCrary Shelf.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 24852 times

One of many features I liked on Pete's fine boat was this mid-height shelf in the forward locker, which makes that large space easier to organize.

Congrats, Pete! See you on the water.
John C. Harris

Re: PocketShip Launch and the very first PocketShip fleet sail..

Postby Pascal on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Beautiful boat....Congrats on a job well done....I hope to join the " Pocketship group " of Maryland next summer. Nice to see these pictures of 2 Pocketships side by side...thanks John.
Pascal

Postby Keith on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:22 pm

John C. Harris wrote:Pete M. launched his PocketShip on Saturday in beautiful late Fall weather here in Annapolis. When I heard he'd be launching nearby, I HAD to hitch up PocketShip #1 to join in the fun.

Laszlo posted over on the CLC Builder's Forum that he thought that he had spotted you and another PocketShip in a convoy on the road in Maryland. I was really pleased to see it confirmed there and here and to see pictures of them on the water together! Congratulations to Pete too. I liked the shelf that he installed. I'm just finishing up an Argie 10. Then I can move on to a Wood Duck 10 and an Eastport Pram. With those out of the way, I will finally be able to start on my own PocketShip.

Were any videos taken the other day? The still pics were great, but a new PocketShip video would be great too!
Keith

Postby decurtis on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Congrats, Pete, on adding another fine looking boat to the Pocketship fleet. I missed hooking up with John this summer when unknown to me he passed through Fargo ND ( a mere 150 miles south of me ) on his Pocketship mid-west tour. I thought the closest he was getting was Minneapolis which is 500 miles away.

You may have read on this forum that my trolling motor experiment on my Pocketship is now over and I am looking for a small outboard instead for next spring. I couldn't help but notice that you appear to have an outboard with an extra long shaft that doesn't seem to require an outboard bracket. What is it? I have been looking at a Tohatsu 3.5HP with a 20 inch shaft but your shaft looks even longer.

Thanks and congrats again; I may just borrow that forward compartment shelf idea...

Dave C.
decurtis

Postby tattoo on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Replying to "Dave C." -- The engine is a Tohatsu 6 hp with extra long shaft especially for sailboats. The tip of the shaft (just below the propeller) is about an inch below the rudder winglet. I took her on a motor breakin cruise a few days ago and at about 80% power (4,000 rpm) she pushed Tattoo at just over 5 knots by the gps. For a short run at 5,000 rpm, it bumped up to about 6 knots. The 5 knot figure was an average both with and against a slight tide. I didn't try the 2 minute run (at 5,000 rpm) in both directions, ... so it may include some of the tide. Probably does, because I think PocketShip has a hull speed of about 5 knots. I made a cutout on the beautiful transom down to about 3" above the cockpit deck. It really hurt to make that cut. I saved the "cutout" just in case I want to put it back. I glued a 3/4" x 6" tranverse doubler (wood: ash) to the inside of the transom before installing the deck. The engine clamps to this doubler, the transom, & a laminated maple pad). I chose the cutout rather than a bracket because the only brackets I could find rated for 4-cycle engines cost about $300 to $500 and were heavy and ugly. Well, hanging any engine off of a beautiful sailboat is ugly, so why have an ugly bracket as well as an ugly engine? I have a long-shaft 2 hp Honda 4-cycle that I'll try next. Its "long" shaft is about 4" shorter than Tohatsu Sail Pro's extra long-shaft and that still might be deep enough. But the 2 hp is only 29 #, vs 59 # for the 6 hp. Later, I'll post some pictures and sketches of the set up.
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby decurtis on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Pete,
Thanks for all the details, the Tohatsu 6HP SailPro was my first guess. Photos would be great before I decide to cut into the lovely transom. My other option is the Tohatsu 3.5HP 20 inch shaft which is only 41 lbs and probably enough HP. This Garelick outboard mount for $179 http://ca.binnacle.com/Deck-Hardware-Outboard-Motor-Accessories/c117_141/p7506/GARELICK-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-BRACKET-2-STROKE/product_info.html should work as it is rated for up to 115 lbs (7-20 HP 2 stroke but I would think should accommodate a small 4 stroke). Or I could build a mount similar to John C's on the Pocketship prototype that could be bolted on when necessary.
Your valuable information gives me more options to think about for the spring.

Thanks,
Dave
decurtis

Postby tattoo on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:34 pm

For "Dave C." -- I don't have time right now to send the various pixs I have of the cutout design and fabrication, but I will before Thanksgiving. If you'll send me your eMail address I'll be able to send you the pixs a bit easier. I've had trouble sending pix on the forum because the files were too big. I need to learn how to reduce the pixel count on my pixs.

Comments about brackets. All the small ones are rated only for 2-stroke. I assume that's because the 4-strokes have much more vibration. After all, every other stroke is trying to go backwards. I suspect that the limitation is imposed for fear of litigation and not a result of a careful engineering analysis. I called the manufacturer and talked to their "technical" department, but couldn't get any satisfactory answer. I actually purchased a Garlick bracket on an internet site that said it was rated for 4-stroke, but when it arrived it had the warning not to use it for 4-stroke. I sent it back. If my 2 hp Honda (29#) works out, then I might sell the Tohatsu. I could stow the 29# engine when not needed. I made a careful cutout so that I can reattach it to the transom with a latch or two. From 20' you could barely notice that there's a cutout at all.
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby decurtis on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Pete,
I sent you my email through a Private Message on this forum.

I think you are right about being careful about what kind of bracket you use since 4 stroke supposedly have more torque. I will have to to look carefully at your cutout and do more research on using a simpler stationary bracket and also talk to the local Tohatsu dealer. I am fairly certain I will get Tohatsu since they manufacture the exact same outboards for Nissan and Mercury but don't charge a premium price just for the name.
decurtis

Postby seanpual123 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 am

These photos are really fabulous...
seanpual123

Return to PocketShip Forum