flipping the boat - solo

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

flipping the boat - solo

Postby Pasi in Finland on Fri May 24, 2024 12:11 am

Last winter when it came time to flip the boat for bottom work it was the middle of winter in Finland and there was no realistic way to open the doors, carry the boat outside and flip it. Too much snow, too cold. As my workspace is fairly small, although higher, it took a lot of thinking on how I could flip the boat safely.

So here is what I did. I had my wife to help, but she ended up more a spectator, no real need but definitely good to have a spotter.

You need to tie the boat to its original building cradle with a strap. Then all you need to do is to lift from the siderail until the cradle/boat ends up in its 45 degree position.
IMG20240402193633.jpg
IMG20240402193633.jpg (131.93 KiB) Viewed 996 times

IMG20240402193614.jpg
IMG20240402193614.jpg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 996 times

The setup is now completely stable and you can move it sideways to give you more space.

The next step is to lift the boat up to its 90 degree position. This again requires surprisingly little strength, all you need is an average office worker. And once more the boat is perfectly stable at 90 degrees standing on its building cradle side without the side rail touching the floor.

IMG20240402192008.jpg
IMG20240402192008.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 996 times

Again, you can easily move the boat, or "walk" it sideways to allow it to flip in a smaller space. I had reserved the engine hoist to help (in picture) but not needed at all.

Next you need to add something to the floor not to scratch the boat. Tires, maybe. I used PU insulation boards, just 2 inches seemed enough. And then you just turn the boat upside down. Again, not need for a strongman.

While getting you friends together, having pizza and beer is definitely more fun, this is a way to flip the boat if you are in a hurry.

The pictures are from flipping the boat right side up. I took more pictures then.

Happy building!
Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Re: flipping the boat - solo

Postby dbeck on Sun May 26, 2024 1:48 am

Pasi,
although we already made our second flip, using your method might be a great option for repainting the lower hull or servicing the centerboard in a couple of years. Thanks for sharing.
Dietrich
dbeck

Return to PocketShip Forum