Boom Tent (or is it a "Gaff" tent?) . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Boom Tent (or is it a "Gaff" tent?) . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Need shade or shelter while at anchor or dockside? Try a "boom" tent. But, of course, it's really streached over the gaff.

Since the design length of the gaff is just short of allowing it to rest on the gallows, I extended mine by about 8" and made a very short "boom crutch" that straddles the boom and also has a notch to support the gaff (or the lowered mast). Then I engaged a Galesville, Maryland, canvas shop to fabricate the canopy. The "spreaders" are fiberglass battens slipped into sleaves. They are long enough to extend the canopy just to the outboard edge of the cockpit coambing. Deployment is simply a matter of placing the rolled up canopy (the three battens are removable but are kept in their sleves) over the gaff, attaching the forward corners to clamps on the shrouds, unrolling it rearward, and attaching six adjustable lines (with snap hooks) to small fairleads installed under the rubrail. Though not shown, eight side panels can be rolled up under the apron. They can be lowered to just below the top edge of the coambing. There is also a panel for the end of the cockpit. It is attached to the aft side of the tabernacle. This would mainly be for privacy at dockside.

Stowing is just the reverse. When rolled up it is stowed on the starboard-side cabin floor under the cockpit deck. The whole works weighs 18 lbs. I useally cruise alone and bunk on the port side. The rolled up canopy is just "short" enough to be remove from the cabin by extending one end up into the portside forepeak and passing the other end up thru the cabin hatch.

When at anchor it will keep the sun off as well as the rain. Moderate wind shouldn't be a problem except when tied to a dock or in a slip where there could be a cross wind. But the best benefit (for me) is shelter when sleeping in the cockpit. I've learned that sleeping in the cabin on warm nights can be quite uncomfortable. Last summer on one of those 102 degree days with little wind ... I saved myself by motoring home with the canopy providing much needed shade. On that overnight I lost 8 lbs by the time I recovered Tattoo onto her trailer and got home to airconditioning and a much needed shower. I was very close to heat exhaustion. The nighttime temperture didn't drop below 96 degrees.
Attachments
DSCF2075.JPG
Notice the shroud clamps
DSCF2075.JPG (192.04 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
DSCF2072.JPG
Eight rolled up side panels can be snapped & velcrowed into place up under the aprons.
DSCF2072.JPG (187.03 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
DSCF2071.JPG
Not shown is an aft panel providing privacy at dockside.
DSCF2071.JPG (157.75 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum