Pocketship in Finland and cabin insulation

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Pocketship in Finland and cabin insulation

Postby Pasi in Finland on Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:45 am

Hi All,

A fairly new Pocketship builder signing in from Finland. Excited to be a part of this community!

I am currently in the "easy and quick" chapter of my build doing the fillets and sanding them. Enjoying it nevertheless!

As the weather here in Northern Finland is fairly predictable with two distinct periods, three months of cold and nine months of damn cold, I am toying around with a plan to insulate the cabin to hold in some heat and prevent condensation. Has anyone done this before? My current thinking is to use something similar to the foam used for the teardrop camper but surely there are other options.

I think in the northern parts of the US and UK you would have similar challenges?

Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Re: Pocketship in Finland and cabin insulation

Postby riverron on Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Hey Pasi,
Welcome to the forum! I know PocketShip #1 had some insulation in the cabin for condensation. Installed on the sides and roof of the cabin. Probably similar to what they are selling for the teardrop camper. I think it is a good idea.

Good luck on your build!

Ron
riverron

Postby Bflat on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:18 pm

If you search this forum there's a description that John Harris put out years ago of adding a liner to the cabin.
Cheers,
Bob
Bflat

Postby Wood_Ogre on Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:34 am

Wood_Ogre

Postby Wood_Ogre on Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:39 am

I have seen several boats where EVA exercise matts were glued to the bulkhead for insulation and has worked very well for them . Said it was a lot better than liners.
Wood_Ogre

Postby Pasi in Finland on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:56 am

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

The camper insulation at the moment sounds like the smartest solution. I was also thinking of things like covering that with another layer of very thin plywood to preserve the "wood boat look", but it would add weight and what's worse mostly above the waterline.

The EVA mats is a neat idea! Would be easy to install. I am afraid though that my Manager of Interior Design and Color Coordination (=wife) would not approve. :)

Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Postby Wood_Ogre on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:34 pm

The EVA mats in the two boats that I know were actually chosen buy the wives of the Captains because it is very easy to keep clean and is a nice soft cushion to lean against in the cabin. A dark color inside the cabin is going to make it look like a cave. Originally my interior was natural wood but it turned out to look to dark so I painted it a very light gray and that turned out to be to dark also. Then I did bright white which turned out to be the best. I have EVA for the floors and it is the best for crawling around on and may go to EVA on the hull sides up to the rub rail height because it eliminates the sound of hull slap and it is comfortable to lean against I also put EVA on my cock pit seats and in the foot well. Beats the crap out of regular cushions. EVA comes in 11 different colors including white so you have a lot of options. The first mate is the first mate and the Captain who is building the boat should always have the final say on how the boat is finished unless of coarse the first mate is actually doing the building.
Wood_Ogre

Return to PocketShip Forum