spinaker sheet block

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

spinaker sheet block

Postby Mflyer65 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:29 pm

I am trying to figure out where this lead is positioned. The manual suggests to figure it out once rigging the spinnaker sheet but that suggests you will know what you want before you understand what is useful for us first time spinnaker users.
Has anyone positioned the spinnaker block with some acceptable location by chance? I understand that after some significant time down the road and much more experience I may want to change things but for now I would like to install it and have a starting point. I have looked at a few pictures and it seems maybe around 55 inches from the stern measured along the top of the cockpit back for instance?
Any and all suggestions appreciated,
Mike
Mflyer65

Re: spinaker sheet block

Postby Mflyer65 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm

I wrote this before seeing the previous post so disregard.
Mike
Mflyer65

Postby craig on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 am

Already on the hardware? You must be almost done! Glad to hear it.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Bflat on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:05 am

It's been a while since I built my boat, so my memory of placing the spinnaker leads is faint. I do however remember finding that the position proved to be not as critical as imagined (much less so than for the jib leads). A couple inches either way didn't affect the sail shape appreciably.
Bflat

Postby Mflyer65 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks Bob,
I will go with my best guess then and as always, wooden boats can be changed if needed.
Hi Craig,
Yes, getting closer. Time at home these days means I work on the boat most days in some fashion. Son-in-laws came over and flipped the boat over and then back for me. Sure wish I could say I did it myself but those days are long, long gone. I still need to finish building the tiller, boom gallows and haven't started on the mast yet. I am moving to hardware when tired of sanding, epoxying, varnishing or painting. I have been identifying locations for much of the boat hardware other than spars and placing tape with hardware and screws identified. I think I'll only put one screw in the chainplates as I just don't trust the end result of the stay positions until the mast I build is up. That way the thing can swivel to the correct angle I hope.
I still don't have a trailer yet but will have to find one before too long. It is nice to work in the somewhat air conditioned garage this time of year though.
Mike
Mflyer65

Return to PocketShip Forum