Companionway Hood Sides Pieces

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Companionway Hood Sides Pieces

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:36 am

The side pieces for my companionway hood are a couple of inches too long, as cut out according to the pattern supplied. Is this a normal 'feature' of the kit?

Cheers!
SMHolmans

Re: Companionway Hood Sides Pieces

Postby riverron on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Steve,
I recall having the same thing. I just trimmed the aft/cockpit side of the side pieces to match the length of the cabin. Just by sight, so it looked good. Should be no issues with doing this.

I did have another problem with the width. The templates I had were different than the plans. See Feb. 11th 2018 of my blog for the details. Double check the measurements and dry fit things before glueing. I copied my entry in the blog below.

Problem: Now here is where the problem came about. The front hood template that comes with the kit measures 28 -3/4" wide. The manual states that the width of the entire hood needs to be 30 -5/8"

So I used the pattern to cut the front of the hood. After dry fitting the slide into the hood, the math just didn't add up and it was too narrow!

Now the hood width should be 30-5/8". If you subtract the 1.5" of the two side hood pieces, you get 29-1/8". So the front template is 3/8" too short.

So for whatever reason I made the entire piece wider and when I cut off the piece with the template, I kept it. So to fix it, I just glued it back on. You can see it below curing. I then cut it to the proper width. I will be painting the hood, so you won't be able to see it. thanks
riverron

Postby SMHolmans on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:01 am

Thanks Ron -that's really helpful. I had noticed that the pattern for the front piece seemed to be too short, so you have confirmed my suspicions. Very many thanks!
SMHolmans

Postby [email protected] on Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 pm

riverron wrote:... The front hood template that comes with the kit measures 28 -3/4" wide. The manual states that the width of the entire hood needs to be 30 -5/8"
So I used the pattern to cut the front of the hood. After dry fitting the slide into the hood, the math just didn't add up and it was too narrow!
Now the hood width should be 30-5/8". If you subtract the 1.5" of the two side hood pieces, you get 29-1/8". So the front template is 3/8" too short.

I just measured the hood front template in my kit (which was produced 11/2020), and it was exactly 29-1/8". So I guess they fixed it.
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum