My Pocketship Build Progress

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

My Pocketship Build Progress

Postby [email protected] on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:48 pm

I glued down the second main deck piece today, so I am finished with the lower hull assembly,
ready to move on to Chapter 3 of the manual.

deck.jpg
Main deck in place
deck.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
[email protected]

Re: My Pocketship Build Progress

Postby riverron on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 am

Looking good! Before attaching the rear cabin wall,I would suggest doing a dry fit with the rear wall and the seat backs. I know there have been several instances where the seat backs come up about 1/2 inch too short. If I recall correctly you should be able to wire things in place before fillets and adjust. I moved my rear cabin wall back some. Enough to have to redrill some holes for the wires.
riverron

Postby [email protected] on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:24 am

riverron wrote:Looking good! Before attaching the rear cabin wall,I would suggest doing a dry fit with the rear wall and the seat backs. I know there have been several instances where the seat backs come up about 1/2 inch too short. If I recall correctly you should be able to wire things in place before fillets and adjust. I moved my rear cabin wall back some. Enough to have to redrill some holes for the wires.

Yes, indeed! Min seatbacks are about 3/4" shorter than they need to be. If I shorten the deck, I'll have to re-shape the ends of the stringers and cleats. I might be better off leaving a gap at the rear of the seatback and filling it in with some bits of stringer stock.
[email protected]

Postby Bflat on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:16 pm

It seems counter-intuitive, but just trimming the bottom edge of the seat-back panels allows them to sit lower until the front or back gap disappears (the panels are essentially a very wide wedge shape with the angles at each end making up the wedge). In a sense it's like trimming the bottom makes them longer in relation to where they end up. There's plenty of excess wood at the top edge of the panel to allow for trimming the bottom edge to get the proper fit. I went through the same thing, and once I realized what was going on it was a simple fix. My build was long enough ago that I don't remember how much I needed to trim, but it wasn't much (maybe a 1/2" or so). I just kept planing a little off the bottom edge and test fitting until it fit.
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm

The plans show exactly 24 inches from the bottom rear of the rear cabin wall to the REAR of bulkhead 7 (where it is attached to the rear of the centerboard trunk).

I had positioned my deck pieces with the short crosswise edges exactly aligned with the rear of bulkhead 7, and their front edges are 24 1/2 inches ahead of that.
I also made the stringers extend 24 inches from bulkhead 7 (like the manual says), but this distance should really be measured from the REAR of bulkhead 7.
So trimming 1/2" off the front of the deck and 3/8" off the stringers would get everything matching the plans.

The seatbacks would still be maybe 1/4" shorter than they need to be, but trimming their bottoms would probably fix that.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby Bflat on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:55 pm

4AD59829-5C18-487D-BB5E-34D8BCD6675D_1_201_a.jpeg
4AD59829-5C18-487D-BB5E-34D8BCD6675D_1_201_a.jpeg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 3795 times

Line B is longer than line A (scroll down on the photo)

But I think you got the point.

Bob
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am

Nice drawing! Did you just whip that up?
[email protected]

Postby Bflat on Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:24 pm

[email protected] wrote:Nice drawing! Did you just whip that up?

Thanks, yes, it took just a moment with a flexible metal ruler and a pencil.
Bob

Nice looking build, by the way.
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:33 pm

I did the flip a couple of weeks ago (it took maybe ten minutes with several helpers), and this morning I applied glass on half of the bottom, with the assistance of a helper.
It took about 90 pumps worth of epoxy.
Attachments
bottom_glass.jpg
bottom_glass.jpg (233.07 KiB) Viewed 3379 times
[email protected]

Postby [email protected] on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Yesterday I put down the second coat of white Brightside paint on the entire topsides. Almost done with the boat! The next step is to varnish the rails and trim, and paint and install the companionway hood and slide.
The gaff and bowsprit are completely finished and fitted out, and the mast, boom, and gallows are ready for varnishing. The rudder is halfway painted.
Attachments
topsides_painted.jpg
topsides_painted.jpg (226.66 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
[email protected]

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum